Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Growing Scoby from new GTs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
spenghali
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For a 1/2 gallon:

(1) GT's Raw Original Kombucha
(3) Cups boiled tap water
(1.5) Cups classic oolong tea
(1/2) Cup sugar (dissolved in tea or tap water)

Cool everything to room temp, pitch into sanitized jug, swirl gently, cover with rubberbanded cloth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenghali View Post
I used a whole bottle of GT's, not just the dregs. I read somewhere that use of a whole bottle will create a better environment for the scoby, since it will get the pH closer to where it needs to be.
Oh i didnt just use dregs, i took a full bottle, shook it up will to mix all the yeasties and bacteria up and split it between 3 quart jars.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
tjs
Recipes 

I have a few jars using different sugars, teas, etc. using the new GT's. Most of them are approaching 30 days, and only one has a baby... I used the original flavour. Maybe I'll try with one of the synergy brews...

Old 03-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs View Post
I have a few jars using different sugars, teas, etc. using the new GT's. Most of them are approaching 30 days, and only one has a baby... I used the original flavour. Maybe I'll try with one of the synergy brews...
Black Strap Molasses seems to work best for growing a Scoby from GT's from what i have seen in my personal brewings.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used GT's multigreen kombucha about two and a half weeks ago. I used an entire bottle plus the dregs from another bottle in a mason jar filled the rest of the way up with sweet oolong tea. the scoby is growing nicely and my house is pretty cold for growing kombucha. house is sitting at about 68.

the only thing I would change is not using the multigreen because they add some algae to it and there seems to be a lot of algae in my starter that I'm going to have to separate somehow.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #16
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Mine is growing and pretty thick. The only issue is that I'm not sure if there is mold on top. Here's a picture. Normal?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #17
Hordan
Recipes 

I tried this, and even after 10 days or so the Scoby was barely there. THEN, I thought to add some sugar, and Voila! So this works, just make sure to add some organic cane sugar and you should have a nice scoby in 7 - 10 days.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #18
jaeshoes1
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Cool I grew SCOBYs with different GT Flavors including non-alcholic ones EASILY!

Hello!

So I was worried about getting a SCOBY here in Portland. I went to the grocery store and bought a bunch of different GT's, a some Kombucha Wonder Drink India and an unknown one that is called Invisible Alchemy Kombucha Zinziver.

In order of effectiveness:

If I get going with some more, does anyone want some?

Flavors are:
GTs Classic Kombucha's Cosmic Cranberry -> 21+
GTs Classic Kombucha's Gingerberry -> 21+
GTs Enlightened Kombucha™ Original (any age-> typically grocery store available)
Kombucha Wonder Drink India

Worst that didn't even grow:
Invisible Alchemy Kombucha Zinziver 21+

To grow mine I did the following: I didn't use extra tea or any additives. Just the kombucha as is.

Pour each into a widemouth mason jar as is and cover with unbleached muslin.
Place a space heater and maintained temp at 80F
Took about 1 week to grow a 1/2" scoby on all of them (except Invisible Alchemy Kombucha Zinziver 21+)

I then put each into 1/2 gallon mason jars with tea filled to top and 1/2 cup white sugar and built a quick incubator that was super easy with plywood and clip on halogen lamp-> 43 watts did amazing and effective even heat with less electric consumption.

I wish I had taken before and after photos for the growing SCOBYs but didn't (sorry).
Here is a pic of the incubator. Very makeshift but works great! Took 3 days to finish the Kombi. Kept the box at 86F.
Today bottled in 12oz beer bottles carbonating with 1/2 tsp each and then did a side by side test to ensure safe carbonation with a 12oz Ocean Spray Cranberry bottle (plastic) to see when it gets hard so I can chill to stop carbonation. Still researching that part.

img_20140204_163114667.jpg   img_20140204_163308751.jpg   img_20140204_163233855.jpg   img_20140204_163121751_hdr.jpg   img_20140204_163204080_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by jaeshoes1; 02-08-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: forgot prep ingredient

Old 02-15-2014, 01:41 AM   #19
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I tried probably a dozen different flavors of GT and Synergy and all of them grew a SCOBY. the mystic mango was very fast and I used it in subsequent batches and contrary to what I had been told, I did not taste mango in any other batches. I went up to having 6 full size SCOBY's going batches and then backed off to 2 continuous brews now. I was actuall surprised just how easy it was if I was patient. Oh... That's the hard part btw.

Sent from my Home Brew!

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 02-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #20
kyt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
I used it in subsequent batches and contrary to what I had been told, I did not taste mango in any other batches
Do you think the mango flavor fermented out, or wasn't strong enough to persist?

Quote:
I was actuall surprised just how easy it was if I was patient. Oh... That's the hard part btw.
+1 I continue to struggle with this too. Lol

posted via Home Brew mobile app

Quick Reply