My first ever batch was a success. I used a kit I bought from amazon along with a new gallon jug.
From that batch, I got a new, but not fully formed SCOBY.
For the second batch, I brewed rooibos tea and put in the new SCOBY after it cooled. Two days later I see mold spots growing on the top and the SCOBY is at the bottom. It never floated to the top as I thought it would.
This is the process I took to transfer the SCOBY to the tea. I did mess up a bit in the process, but I want to know where things got contaminated.
0. Cleaned hands
1. Brewed tea in the jar. Let it seep for about 5-7 min
2. Used clean tongs to take out tea leaves, which were in a large tea bag
3. Let tea cool overnight, covered with tissue and rubber band. Meanwhile, first batch with new SCOBY is in original jar in about 2 cups of it's original juice (I bottled the rest)
4. Next day, I realized I forgot to put in sugar. I put a cup of sugar in a bowl with a little bit of hot water and mixed with single, clean chopstick. Poured it into tea and mixed with chopstick.
5. Cleaned hands, took out SCOBY with bare hand and placed into the jar. Covered with tissue and rubber band and placed in closet.
Where did I go wrong and what should I do to minimize contamination risk next time? Thank you!