Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Found a fruit fly in my kombucha...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
Spanakopita
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Found a fruit fly in my kombucha...

Last week, after bottling my first brew, I put the mother with starter tea in the pantry in a pyrex bowl, covered with a coffee filter and tight-fitting rubber band. After 2 days, I was ready to start my 2nd batch and when I removed the filter, I found a fruit fly at the top of the jar (ick). I removed the fly and then thoroughly rinsed the mother with water. I discarded the starter tea and made a new batch.

Today, 8 days later, I check on my brew and I see a tiny little larva perched at the top of my jar, on the glass wall. I carefully removed it with a paper towel and inspected the jar but I don't see any more larvae. Part of me is grossed out and wants to toss the whole thing, but I also reeeeally don't want to toss it. I've got a gallon of wonderful kombucha ready for bottling!

What would you do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Zapped
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Large house flies get into all kinds of nasty things, but fruit flies are pretty clean. Bottle it & enjoy.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6141 Times on 5347 Posts
Likes Given: 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
Large house flies get into all kinds of nasty things, but fruit flies are pretty clean. Bottle it & enjoy.
Fruit flies are not clean. They carry acetobacteria which can turn alcohol into vinegar.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Zapped
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks @AZ_IPA, I didn't know that. I knew that common flies are attracted to trash & pet waste, and for sure I wouldn't want those any where near my KT. Haven't had any problem with fruit flies so I shouldn't have commented.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd be inclined to drink the current batch. My concern is that the mother/daughter may continue to carry any infection forward into all future batches. Can the scoby be "washed" in something (vinegar?) that would kill the bad stuff but not harm the scoby?

Quick Reply