Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Fermenting kombucha ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
drkered
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermenting kombucha ideas

Anyone have any good fermentation chamber ideas? All I can think of is a hot pad and adjusting temp by putting more or less of the pad on it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
hugebooter
Recipes 

I live in a house with central heating, since it's too expensive for us to keep the thermostat above 60F, I keep the door to the bathroom closed which keeps the temp inside hovering around 70F. For sanitary purposes I keep my fermentor in a clean plastic tote. Only... try to imagine the combination of these two formidable forces: A morning after enchiladas and dark ale, wrestling with the sour sock smell of our beloved kombucha. It's a get in and get out must make move!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Keegster1120
Recipes 

This idea makes a good building project. Since my house is always like 60 degrees, I built a box out of 11/2 inch styrofoam insulation, found at Lowes or Home Depot etc.. It's a good size, enough to hold about three of those 2.5 gallon glass cookie jars they sell at walmart. My brother then helped me put a temperature controlled thermostat with a lightbulb connected to it. The lightbulb (a 25 watt I think) generates enough heat to heat the box, and when it gets too hot in there, it shuts off and turns on when it gets too cold. I was going to order one of these outlet thermostats http://www.amazon.com/WIN100-Heating.../dp/B000E7NYY8, but my brother helped me rig one up instead. The thing has been working like a charm and it keeps the ferment nice and warm in a freezing cold house

Quick Reply