Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > fermenting cider with scoby

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
DROOO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 1

Default fermenting cider with scoby

my intention is not to make cider vinegar. however, for the sake of experimentation, i pitched a scoby into about 3/4 gallon of unpasteurized cider i bought yesterday morning from my local farmer's market. curious if anyone can lend me their experience doing this same thing?

__________________
DROOO is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
kyt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kyt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 422
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

I'm interested in doing something similar, please report back with your results.

__________________
kyt is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
DROOO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 1

Default

i certainly will. at this point, it's been almost 70 hours, and i have no sign of a film / scoby forming on the top surface. to be clear, i literally, dumped the cider (after considerable shaking in the jug) into a sanitized gallon vessel, pitched a scoby, and covered it with a towel just like i do with my tea. the exception with this so far, i haven't had the vessel sitting in the dark like i normally would (will change that tonight), and it's been moved around a few times in the kitchen. my scoby's have been turning around good kombucha tea in about a 2-week time frame this past summer, so i'm holding any judgement back for now on the cider's progress (or lack thereof), but my patience is being challenged admittedly.

__________________
DROOO is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
kyt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kyt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 422
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROOO View Post
i certainly will. at this point, it's been almost 70 hours, and i have no sign of a film / scoby forming on the top surface. to be clear, i literally, dumped the cider (after considerable shaking in the jug) into a sanitized gallon vessel, pitched a scoby, and covered it with a towel just like i do with my tea. the exception with this so far, i haven't had the vessel sitting in the dark like i normally would (will change that tonight), and it's been moved around a few times in the kitchen. my scoby's have been turning around good kombucha tea in about a 2-week time frame this past summer, so i'm holding any judgement back for now on the cider's progress (or lack thereof), but my patience is being challenged admittedly.
What was the temp of the cider when you put the scoby in it, and what is the temp now? The scoby growth could be retarded if it's too cool.

How sweet was the cider?

Could you detail your sanitization process? Maybe some residual residue killed the acetobacter?
__________________
kyt is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
DROOO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 1

Default

the cider was cool when i bought it, and it wasn't long after i bought it when i pitched the scoby. having to guess right now (at the day job), i'd say the cider's near 70 (thermostat read 69-70 last i check—last night).

the cider was very sweet.

as for sanitization, i used star san, so i didn't rinse it after dumping the star san solution.

i would believe temp to be one issue. i'll move it the basement where it's currently warmer (~75F).

__________________
DROOO is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
kyt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kyt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 422
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROOO View Post
the cider was cool when i bought it, and it wasn't long after i bought it when i pitched the scoby. having to guess right now (at the day job), i'd say the cider's near 70 (thermostat read 69-70 last i check—last night).

the cider was very sweet.

as for sanitization, i used star san, so i didn't rinse it after dumping the star san solution.

i would believe temp to be one issue. i'll move it the basement where it's currently warmer (~75F).
OK if it was very sweet then lack of sugar shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not familiar with Star San, but if you didn't rinse it off, that could be part of the problem. Sure you want the container to be sanitary so you don't contaminate the batch, but you don't want to sanitize the batch either.
All of my containers are washed in 5% distilled white vinegar only, then I rinse them with a little distilled water to get most of that smell/taste out (bleh it's strong!). I wash my hands really good with that foaming Dial soap, then rinse really good with tap water, then rinse no less than 3 times with white distilled vinegar. It burnses us, but better for the brew.
As with most things antibiotic, you could have residue left behind that will kill your brew. Maybe someone with more experience using Star San can provide input.

70℉ is on the cool side. Could take weeks at that temp.
Do you have just one jar of it? You could put it in a box with a night light, that'll add a couple degrees, get you a little closer to 78-80℉
__________________
kyt is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
DROOO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 1

Default

i use star san for all things brewing beer. it's a no-rinse sanitizer. i've used it when transferring kombucha tea in the past, specifically, in the vessels i'm about to rack the tea (post-fermentation) into. it's been a while now since my first tea brew / ferment, but i'm almost certain i used a star san solution in the fermenting vessel before pitching my first scoby into the tea. i say this because i always sterilize, but i've never bought / used distilled white vinegar (or any vinegar for that matter) for cleaning. only star san. i'll move the vessel to some place warmer, but for now that's about all i can think of doing. hopefully i'll have a good update in another few days.

cheers.

__________________
DROOO is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
DROOO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 1

Default

was going to move the vessel to the basement this morning (ambient: 74F), but i noticed what i believe to be a scoby starting to form a film over the surface. gonna leave it be for now.

__________________
DROOO is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
kyt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kyt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 422
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROOO View Post
was going to move the vessel to the basement this morning (ambient: 74F), but i noticed what i believe to be a scoby starting to form a film over the surface. gonna leave it be for now.
It'll be ok, go ahead and move it. Just don't shake it up lol
__________________
kyt is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
DROOO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 1

Default

6 days later. not sure what to make of it.

__________________
DROOO is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cider not fermenting strongarm Cider Forum 21 11-20-2013 11:52 AM
Cider not fermenting whino Cider Forum 8 10-12-2011 05:51 PM
Cider Not Fermenting scottyg354 Cider Forum 6 09-20-2011 11:08 PM
Is my cider fermenting? It can't be... DubbinFive1Eight Cider Forum 13 12-13-2010 05:10 PM
Can you culture a MOV / SCOBY from unpasteurized apple cider vinegar? jimmystewart Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum 4 11-13-2010 02:20 AM