New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > continuous brewing with co2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
virtualpaul
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default continuous brewing with co2

I wonder if there is a container that would allow continuous brewing but keeping some carbonation.

There would have to be a pressure release valve at the top and a spigot at the bottom so that new air could get in every time someone would take a glass.

Also a top that can be opened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I haven't seen anything like that, but I get excellent carbonation most of the time simply allowing a second ferment for a few weeks in ez-cap bottles. One trick would be that the brew supposedly needs air during the brew process. If you prime bottles for carbonation, and let them second ferment long enough at a warm enough temp, they should carbonate quite nicely on their own.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
virtualpaul
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For sure a second ferment would work but I want a lazy way...

Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Hm not sure if it would work, I think the kombucha culture is a bit of an enigma in that it needs access to air at the top, though the ferment itself under the surface occurs anaerobically. So if it is airlocked or made in a pressure cooker for example I don't know that it would brew entirely properly.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You want a gravity feed keg that maintains carbonation? It's not physically possible. You need to maintain a fixed pressure in the headspace to keep dissolved co2 from coming out of solution.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 09-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
virtualpaul
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
You want a gravity feed keg that maintains carbonation? It's not physically possible. You need to maintain a fixed pressure in the headspace to keep dissolved co2 from coming out of solution.
I sometimes brew root beer/ginger ale using champagne yeast and put it in a cornelius keg and I don't even need CO2 to get it out. Just the pressure gets it out.

So my guess is that if I would have a spigot at the bottom of a similar keg/jar, the air would get in every time the co2 pressure would fall to a certain level and then the top of the keg/jar would get new air to continue the fermentation.

Quick Reply