Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > continue fermenting for less sweetness?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
Ennazus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default continue fermenting for less sweetness?

I am on day 8 of the first fermentation (for my first batch of Kombucha). My sampling tonight was quite delicious, but I would prefer a little less sweetness.

I plan on bottling and doing a second fermentation for fizz and was also going to flavor with blueberry juice and maybe ginger, although it's so yummy right now, I may keep some plain.

This was my recipe: 8 black tea bags, ~1 gallon water (maybe 13 cups), 1 cup sugar, 1 cup starter (maybe a little less than 1 cup), 1 cup distilled white vinegar & small SCOBY (purchased online from Goldfinch)

If I continue to let it go, will the Kombucha become more dry (less sweet)? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts

Yes, as it continues to ferment it loses the sweetness, pH drops, turns more vinegar like.

I would pull some now and try the 2F, see how that works out. You can let the remainder in gallon just keep fermenting, etc.

Welcome to KT fermenting!

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 06-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Ennazus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh good idea to pull some out and bottle now. This will help me get an idea of where I like it. I'll make a plain bottle tonight. Or maybe just ginger. Thanks!

Ordered ph tape and should arrive tomorrow. I'm anxious get a solid figure to match with my description of "yummy". Lol

Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Zapped
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If the yeast & bacteria in the mail-order scoby aren't very active, it's possible you haven't really fermented the tea. Do you have a healthy new baby-scoby that's at least 1/4" thick, preferably more? Can you get some 2.8-4.4 pH test strips & see what you're at?

Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Ennazus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Kombucha was at a pH of 3. The baby SCOBY was probably not 1/4 inch thick. Thoughts, Zapped?

I got pH tape from 0.0 - 6.0 (0.5 pH increments)

I was only going to bottle one up...but when I saw it was at a pH of 3 I said what the heck and bottled it up. perhaps a little over zealous.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:31 AM   #6
Zapped
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

pH around 3 sounds great. I suppose I've had baby-scobys less than 1/4" thick also, depending on the temperature in the house - they're thinner in the winter when the house runs cooler. Still strange that it tastes sweet, because even though you didn't quite get up to a full gallon of liquid, your 1 cup of sugar isn't excessive.

Sounds like you're doing just fine. I wouldn't be too worried about anything going wrong with Kombucha other than bluish or greenish mold, which personally I've only seen in pictures (knocks on wood).

Quick Reply