The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Carboy for Kombucha?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
BoltsFan704
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Carboy for Kombucha?

I was thinking of using a 6 gal glass carboy to brew 5 gal of Kombucha. Has anyone tried this? How would siphoning off the finished tea and then adding a new 5 gal of tea on top of the baby scoby work? No airlock just cloth with rubber band.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
Tbone66
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

siphoning off and adding tea is the easy part. The bad part I can see in this is not being able to have access to the scoby. Eventually the scoby would have so many daughters that it would take up the entire volume of the carboy, and when they get thick they are very tough. Instead of a carboy you could use a 6 or 7 gallon brew bucket to brew 5 gallons.

Ryan

bottled - T'ej, Apricot dessert wine, skeeter pee
misc - long term storage of Kombucha SCOBY's and water kefir grains; Sauerkraut and Kimchi on deck

Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Good point Tbone - I used to ferment Kombucha in little 32oz fruit juice bottles with small necks, since I had them left over from using the juice to prime the Kombucha. Worked great until there became so many stuck scoby's inside that I couldn't get out, I had to toss the bottles.

Although it would be a fun experiment, if you did the first batch at a normal level, to get a nice big mother scoby, and then all later batches filled almost to the complete top, so the baby scobies were the same size as the carboy opening, then you could fish 'em out if you wanted to. Probably have to stab 'em with something though, and that's just scobicide. lol...

Big brew bucket is probably the better idea.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have read not to make Kombucha in any sort of plastic or metal container. I would just find Big glass jars, i have hear Costco has 3 or 4 gallon glass jars with a spigot on them that makes bottling a breeze. Something like these:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shpr...:referralID=NA

http://www.infusionjars.com/veronagr...nglassjar.aspx

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/anch...mazon+Campaign

Just make sure you get one with a plastic Spigot instead of metal, Kombucha is acidic and you dont want to drink heavy metals!

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
I have read not to make Kombucha in any sort of plastic or metal container. I would just find Big glass jars, i have hear Costco has 3 or 4 gallon glass jars with a spigot on them that makes bottling a breeze. Something like these:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shpr...:referralID=NA

http://www.infusionjars.com/veronagr...nglassjar.aspx

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/anch...mazon+Campaign

Just make sure you get one with a plastic Spigot instead of metal, Kombucha is acidic and you dont want to drink heavy metals!
Not sure why a plastic container is bad if a plastic spigot is OK. I suspect "tradition" is more in play here.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Not sure why a plastic container is bad if a plastic spigot is OK. I suspect "tradition" is more in play here.
Well the reason they say not to use plastic is that it scratches and that can harbor bad bacteria that you do not want in your kombucha, But Food grade plastic brew buckets are safe as long as they have no scratches in them. Glass however is a lot easier to clean and harder to scratch. But it is a personal choice thing.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:59 AM   #7
cybrslug
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have two Scobys each brewing in 1 gallon Sun Tea jars with spigots. I just received my five gallon wide mouth carboy with spigot, and wanted to know if one of my Scobys would work to get the five gallons going, or should I add both to the new carboy?

Old 08-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

I'd go with both just to be safe, although I think the more important part is to use enough starter tea to keep it acidic enough. I'd use one of the whole gallons as starter tea, bottle the other gallon, and toss both scobys in.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
cybrslug
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
I'd go with both just to be safe, although I think the more important part is to use enough starter tea to keep it acidic enough. I'd use one of the whole gallons as starter tea, bottle the other gallon, and toss both scobys in.
Thnx for reply Chess. I like the idea of using one gallon as my starter. I will let ya know what happens. Do you think 5 gallons would take more than my usual 7 day brew cycle that I'm getting right now?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

I don't see any reason it would take more time than usual, but I've never done a batch that big so I don't know!

Quick Reply