Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Can my scoby take a nap while I'm on vacation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
numberstrong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can my scoby take a nap while I'm on vacation?

I know that it is possible to put your scoby to sleep while you're on vacation, so that's not what I'm asking. I just slid mine into a container of 2 cups of nice strong kombucha and put it in the fridge in preparation for a 5-week trip my family and I are about to take. When we get back, I was planning on immediately beginning to brew a new batch.

But then I thought, wait, can I do better?

What would happen if I brewed the tea before we left, put the whole batch (with the scoby in it) in the fridge right away, and then had someone take it out of the fridge about two weeks before we came back? (I can arrange for someone to take it out of the fridge while we're gone, but this same person would feel weird about beginning a brew for us from scratch.) Would the 3 weeks in the fridge mess up the fermentation, so it wouldn't complete well when it was removed?

Thanks!

-Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It will ferment even in the refrig. Many do not recommend refrigerating the scoby for a break, but I have never had an issue.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 06-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
Zapped
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just leave it in your normal fermenting area and use the scoby and a cup of the tea as starter for your new batch when you return. The tea of course will have become more vinegary than you'd want to drink but the mixture you'll have at the end of your vacation is basically what we call a "hotel" where we store our excess scobys.

Quick Reply