Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Can I use GT'S to start a SCOBY?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
00p
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's awesome. I started mine about three days ago. I'm seeing sloooooowwwwwww signs of life. A few bubbles (CO2?) and a few new strands hanging off the baby (heard it's dead yeast?). Anyway, your pic gives me hope. Beautiful!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I tried this, and nothing. Nice fresh brewed tea, organic sugar, and it took FOREVER to do anything. I finally bought a scoby and its going great now.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
luke_d
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

That's strange, I've heard it works for the most part. Well, here's an updates picture. It's almost an inch thick!

image-4088957788.jpg

Old 09-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
BethelLight
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have two 2.5 gallon dispensers each with 1" multiple generation scobys in them (I do the continuous method). They both came from a starter I made from a bottle of GT's and a quart ball jar.

So the answer is yes but it will take longer. It took me almost a month to get a decent scoby on it. If your in a hurry I would get one by other means.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #15
Ruthie
Recipes 

My first Scoby I grew from a bottle of GT's original flavor (I don't recall if it was enlightened or not) and after I grew the mother for about 3 weeks I was able to brew 'bucha! So yes you can do it (I should've mentioned that I did this last January)

From my experience though kombucha from a homegrown scoby will develop a lot slower than one you find on craigslist (I haven't brewed kombucha long enough to know if it gets stronger over time). I had accidentally cooked my grown scoby not too long ago. So I bought one on craigslist that was waaay way way more active.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
orillian
Recipes 

I can't remember the name of it(I'll try and update if I can find the bottle in the recycling.), but I bought a bottle of some organic ginger green tea kombucha from a local coffee shop.

I brewed up a dark, Pu-erh tea, 60 minute steep using 3 tablespoons of tea in 2 quarts of boiling water(Cooled to 170 degrees before adding tea). I then let the temp get below 80 added 3/4 cups of raw cane sugar and dumped in the mini scoby from the store bought tea along with the yeast in the bottom of the bottle. I stuck it in the pantry and waited.

Within 10 days I had an 1/4 - 1/8th of an inch scoby and a really solventy smelling tea. :P I tossed that out and thoroughly cleaned the scoby and dropped it on top of a new batch made the same way.

Notes:
Time for second batch: 5 days.
Results: Nice bubbly Kombucha with a great Pu-erh earthyness and a bit of sweet and sour.
Scoby: Creamy blue/white on top, tea stained on the bottom. overall about 1/8th of an inch thick. 6 inches diameter.
Average house temperature: 76.4 degrees. Low: 74.7, High: 83.1 degrees. <---someone forgot to turn on the AC.

BTW: Long steeped Pu-erh tea is some crazy good stuff, Pu-erh tea doesn't get as tannin heavy as other teas so you don't get the bitterness associated with other blacks or even a green that's steeped to long.

Regards,
O.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1444 Posts
Likes Given: 4399

my GT's SCOBY is finally showing signs of life! started the build up on 9-14-13.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #18
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here is my scoby its six days old. The pic is not that clear ( my dumb cell phone). This is my first experience with kombucha making but from what a read my scoby is growing great.

forumrunner_20130921_174213.jpg

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Billy-Klubb Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #19
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Oh also i should have stated that i grew it from a bottle of GT original. I just dumped the bottle on top of two cups of sweet black tea that i had in a sun tea jar. And six days later sitting at 75 degrees or so there it is!! I think i got two more weeks so i can brew a full batch. But i just going to dump the new batch on top of this one minus a cup or so of the old KT.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Quick Reply