Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Can I keep using the same SCOBY?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
scobyfiend
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I keep using the same SCOBY?

Hi there,

Been brewing Kombucha for a couple months now (continuous brew method) and have my entire family hooked on it -- great stuff!

My question for all you kombucha experts is this:Can I keep using the same SCOBY over and over? Mine is now about 3 in. thick with multiple layers. I was just reading that GT's Kombucha only uses a SCOBY about 10 times before discarding it as compost. My kombucha brew tastes great and there is no evidence of mold at all.

Oh and on another note . . . I have been trying to duplicate the 'Mystic Mango' flavor of GT's brand Kombuca and have not had any success in getting that great nectar flavor or texture. I have tried fresh mango puree and bottled mango juice -- any thoughts?

Thanks all,
SCOBYfiend

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
doodlebug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it tastes good and it's not brown, keep brewin'.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
scobyfiend
Recipes 

It is a light brown color on top -- is that bad? I thought that was just a result of using black tea. I didn't know that brown was bad?!? Please tell me my scoby baby is ok!
Thanks,
SCOBYfiend

Old 07-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Tbone66
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Its fine

bottled - T'ej, Apricot dessert wine, skeeter pee
misc - long term storage of Kombucha SCOBY's and water kefir grains; Sauerkraut and Kimchi on deck

Old 07-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Zapped
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Even with continuous brewing, don't you have a distinct mother/baby separation? When you have a thick-enough baby (maybe 1/4"), I'd pull out both of them and just leave the baby in there. Put the mother in a "hotel" - a separate jar where you also add a cup or so of starter each time you pull out a mother. Do that every week to 10 days so that you're always using a nice fresh baby.

With the hotel as backup, if you ever do get contamination you have a separate supply of mothers waiting & you also have some to give away to friends.

I don't use the continuous brewing method myself so apologies if it doesn't work the way I describe.

Quick Reply