Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Bubbles liftin scoby help????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
s1man711
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bubbles liftin scoby help????

I keep having these bubbles forming that are preventing the scoby from forming and are actually lifting it. Can someone please explain why this is happening and how to prevent it? It's my understanding that this will change the flavor of the kombucha. Thanks.

img_2498.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
kyt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Carbon dioxide is a natural yeast by-product, the only way to stop it, is to kill the yeast. Don't do that.
Yes, CO2 will slightly alter the flavor profile of the finished product. However, if you don't like your kombucha carbonated, all you have to do is degas it by gently shaking it in a container before drinking it. This will make your KT "still". Think about how flat soda tastes compared to carbonated soda. It is one purpose of the secondary fermentation process that we capture this gas and force it back into solution to produce the desired carbonated effect.

My advice, stop messing with it. From your images, your batch looks perfect. Personally, I like my scobys to have the bubbles trapped in them. Makes it a whole lot easier to re-float it after the brew is harvested.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

S1....what temp is your base liquid? Many times you see aggrressive bubble development like this when the ferment is on the warmer side of the spectrum. Nothing wrong with it and the presence of CO2 will not impact the taste.

A good reference document on how to troubleshoot/balance your KT-- http://users.bestweb.net/~om/kombucha_balance/

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply