Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > brewing kombucha to add to beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #21
JNEL73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Update?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #22
racin_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Kombucha is in it's third day of fermentation. It took a while to grow a SCOBY from a commercial bottle of GT Original. Onward and upward!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
racin_ny

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Update

I bottled off the first batch of kombucha. I have the next batch fermenting and that one is slated for the beer. I'm thinking an oue bruin type of beer. I'll post back when that happens. Right now I'm thinking once the Kombucha is at the desired sourness level (Which will be overly sour for straight Kombucha. I will sterilze the buch at 140 deg F for 30 minutes then add it to the bottling bucket with the fermented oue bruin and bottle. If anyone has any other thoughts please let me know. I'm open to ideas!

TheNobleBrewer Likes This 
Old 03-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #24
TheNobleBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

how did it taste out of the bottle?

Old 03-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #25
Owly055
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Radical Booch / Beer

I recently did a radical experiment with kombucha beer. I mashed with 3.5 gallons of kombucha instead of using water on a 2 gallon brew. Otherwise It was brewed like a very low hopped beer. I held the hops down to avoid overpowering the kombucha. The result was not wonderful......... If I do it again, I'll make a very light beer.... This was made with enough CR60 to make it pretty red. I'd probably make a Cream Ale type recipe, or brew with just two row or pilsner. Hops were East Kent Golding. The maltiness of the beer kind of overpowers the sourness of the kombucha. It completely failed to achieve my desired result.

That said, I brewed 5 gallons of kombucha and gave it a ginger secondary, and gave it to a microbrewer friend who has it on tap as a freebie. It's wonderful mixed half and half or so with his APA. Blending after brewing seems to be the best.......... blending at the tap works very well. It allows you to optimize the flavor to your own taste.

It's well worth noting that you do NOT need a scoby to make Kombucha. Start with about 50% active culture commercial like GTs, and 50% sweet tea (1C sugar and 4 bags to the gallon). In a week or so you will be getting a nice sour booch..... give it more time and it will continue to get more and more tart. You will soon have a scoby. The scoby does NOT make kombucha, it is a byproduct of the acetobacter that is almost entirely cellulose. A lady friend of mine makes candy out of the scoby for her grandchildren who love it. She pulls her scoby out and sprinkles it lightly with sugar, cuts it up and dehydrates it. It makes a tart tangy "candy" the kids love.

H.W.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #26
racin_ny

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Scoby

My plan is to make enough alcohol with the scoby and not mash the Kombucha at all. I have started this process it will be a while yet. I'm in no hurry. I'm halfway through Sandor Katz's Book The Art of Fermentation. Great read by the way.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #27
racin_ny

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default TheNobleBrewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNobleBrewer View Post
how did it taste out of the bottle?
I added about an 1/8 of Orange Juice and it came out bubbly and delicious! I'm still going with the Kombucha beer project. I'll let you know when I get a product to try. Thanks for the like

Quick Reply