Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > brewing kombucha to add to beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
frailn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromZwolle View Post
you won't get it if you pasteurize. i've drank a few bottle scobies, it's not pleasant. they're usually clear and hard to spot, but slimy.
But, if you pasteurize, won't that kill the yeast/bacteria combo that primes the bottle with C02?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frailn View Post
But, if you pasteurize, won't that kill the yeast/bacteria combo that primes the bottle with C02?
you want to kill all the stuff in the kombucha, not the yeast that are in the beer. the kombucha would get pasteurized and then blended into the beer at bottling time. there would still be plenty of yeast to carb from the beer portion.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
seraphorist
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromZwolle View Post
what was the base beer that you wanted to blend with?
no particulars in mind, i just usually have a few things going and was going to try bottling a few kombucha blends whenever i bottle anything really.

yesterday my kombucha finally tasted nice, so i mixed it in with a witte that i had going. i'll know the results in a couple weeks.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 AM   #14
dirk
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Heyo,

I brewed a pretty rad Kombucha porter a couple months back. I only did a gallon batch because I wasn't sure what was going to happen, but it was one of the better beers I've ever made.

Essentially I brewed an english porter, but took about a 5th of it on brewing day and threw my mother on top. I primary fermented both beer and kombucha-wort for about 10-14 days (can't remember/don't wanna dig up my notes), then when it came time to transfer to secondary, took out the mother and brought the soured portion up to 140 for about 10 minutes, then combined it with the rest of the batch in secondary. Then did everything like normal.

Honestly, the taste was a decent approximation of oud bruin, almost cherry tartness, mixed with delicious malty english porter. It was rad. I've never screwed around with traditional souring methods, but with this I was brew-to-beerstein in 6 weeks, and it was very well-balanced.

The obvious limitation here is that you need a big SCOBY to get decent sourness in a portion if you're only exposing it to the culture for a week or two, as normal kombucha fermentation time is at least 2-3 weeks.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:08 AM   #15
dirk
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Important to note: there is a characteristic kombucha acid undertone, which is not at all like a traditional sour, but in my mind it fits alright. Probably one of the many more acids that kombucha cultures produce.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
seraphorist
Recipes 

nice, i like your method of kombucha-ing the beer as opposed to just blending in regular tea kombucha later on. i did a couple test bottles with a blend of 1/3 kombucha to 2/3 beer, but it was very overwhelming with kombucha. i plan on just tossing in a bit of kombucha (pasteurized) into a couple bottles of whatever i am bottling at the time just to see what happens. based on how that last blend tasted, i will probably do more like an 1/8 kombucha to 7/8 beer.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #17
dirk
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yea, that sounds interesting, but I'm not a real big tea drinker. The real interest for me is a cheap fast way of approximating a lambic flavor profile, which I think you can do with this method with a little tuning.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 AM   #18
racin_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Hi Guys,
I know this is an old post. Do any of you guys have any updates? I had a Ginger Kombucha Beer at a beer fest last Saturday and loved it. I have a mother growing now and I intend on using it in a beer flavored with pineapple and ginger Kombucha. I figured I would inoculate the secondary with the Kombucha and mother. Once it is at the right tartness I will keg it.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:05 AM   #19
dirk
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If you kombucha the whole thing you're going to get some snotties unless you want to filter at all, plus it'll keep getting sour fast. I personally think souring a portion, pasteurizing and then recombining is the best method, especially if you have a decent sized SCOBY.

D

Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
racin_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Hey Dirk,
Thanks for the info. I'm using a quart jar to start my mother. I would expect that to be smaller than what you call decent size. yes? I agree with you, we need to do something to control the souring portion.

Thanks I really appreciate your feedback!

Quick Reply