Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Brewing Jun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Amaranthim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyt View Post
Try Kombucha Nation on Facebook, you can get a free culture from lots of people if you pay for the shipping. USPS flat-rate is $6 something
Thanks kyt! Just joined! A world of info on there and I put in a request

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
Amaranthim
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
(snipped)

My source is from Kombucha Nation Facebook group.
If you get Jun PLEASE make sure someone has not just plopped a kombucha scoby in green tea and honey and calling it Jun, so not the case but it is happening.
I just joined and requested a culture. Crossing fingers!!
I had seen on ebay too but that was my concern- how do I know it isn't just a kombucha in Jun clothing since I would never have seen one? I think I have better chance of the straight scoop on FB then on ebay but who knows.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #13
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthim View Post

I just joined and requested a culture. Crossing fingers!!
I had seen on ebay too but that was my concern- how do I know it isn't just a kombucha in Jun clothing since I would never have seen one? I think I have better chance of the straight scoop on FB then on ebay but who knows.
Physically the two scoby look alike. If you make kombucha you will notice the difference with Jun. If you have not made kombucha using green tea and honey you need to do so, for proper comparison. Pay attention to what is happening in the fermenter. Fabulous carbonation with Jun, even in aerobic environment, that does not occur with kombucha.
With Jun, it is a fast ferment, talking harvesting on Day 4 when fermenting in low/mid 70s...kombucha would take 2.5-3 weeks. Go to files section on K Nation, read the articles on Jun.
Ask your Jun source if their culture is a kombucha scoby turned Jun, avoid.
The sharing members on that group see the Jun discussions. Other sources for real Jun cultures-- James McLaughlin or Rocky Sasser or Chris Cook--mbrs of Kombucha Nation. I have Jun but my request list is quite backlogged.
--I do recommend, if you want to propogate Jun cultures, have a separate grow vessel. The ferment is so fast you may or may not develop a new 1/8-1/4" pellicle in time.
Kombucha Kamp sells Jun culture, $35 retail. You can read their product detail. I am quite sure there are Jun variants just as there are Kombucha and kefir variants.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
Amaranthim
Recipes 

Quote:
Physically the two scoby look alike. If you make kombucha you will notice the difference with Jun. If you have not made kombucha using green tea and honey you need to do so, for proper comparison. Pay attention to what is happening in the fermenter. Fabulous carbonation with Jun, even in aerobic environment, that does not occur with kombucha.
With Jun, it is a fast ferment, talking harvesting on Day 4 when fermenting in low/mid 70s...kombucha would take 2.5-3 weeks.
Excellent- I find I am so impatient to get to the kombucha! It takes too long!!

Quote:
Ask your Jun source if their culture is a kombucha scoby turned Jun, avoid.
Good to know- she seems nice enough- but it wouldn't hurt to ask! She is charging me $10 to cover mailing and packaging- didn't think that was too onerous- especially considering that first link I put on here!

Quote:
The sharing members on that group see the Jun discussions. Other sources for real Jun cultures-- James McLaughlin or Rocky Sasser or Chris Cook--mbrs of Kombucha Nation. I have Jun but my request list is quite backlogged.
I put a general Jun wanted post too- so maybe one of them will comment- I found her on the file there and PM'ed her.

Quote:
--I do recommend, if you want to propogate Jun cultures, have a separate grow vessel. The ferment is so fast you may or may not develop a new 1/8-1/4" pellicle in time.
Good to know! So I will prep ahead I only just set up the SCOBY hotel- so space is at a premium. Best go buy another big jar or two!

Quote:
Kombucha Kamp sells Jun culture, $35 retail. You can read their product detail. I am quite sure there are Jun variants just as there are Kombucha and kefir variants.
Thanks for al the info- I will look up Kombucha Kamp also.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #15
honeybeemg
Recipes 

Default Help - sinking jun mother!

Hello all, I'm a newcomer here. I have been brewing jun for over a year now. Has anyone ever had problems with their culture sinking? This has happened to me several times now. The kind friend who gave me the original culture told me that a sinking culture doesn't necessarily mean it's dead - as long as it still ferments the tea, doesn't mold up, and produces a new culture on top of the liquid it is still good. I'm just wondering why I didn't have any problems for nearly a year and all of a sudden my cultures are sinking. She even gave me a new one recently and it sunk the first time I put it in a new jar of tea. I have tried different types of tea and it still keeps happening. The honey is also the same - I have a 3 gallon jug of local raw honey, so no changes there. I'm too embarrassed to ask her any more questions as she's in the middle of moving right now! (And I feel bad.) Any ideas, anyone?

Old 02-14-2014, 12:13 AM   #16
kyt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 57

The cellulose pellicle is more dense than water, if there isn't something added that is lighter than both, it will sink. Carbon dioxide bubbles will float the culture. If the bubbles are escaping, the culture can sink. Sometimes the bubbles can become trapped in the culture and it will always float until the gas is released.
Also, the pellicle is unnecessary for proper fermentation. If it bothers you, just take it out.

posted via Home Brew mobile app

Quick Reply