Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Brewing Jun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Synaster
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Brewing Jun

Anyone try this yet? Any idea how it differs from kombucha? Looks like its brewed with honey instead of white sugar..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
philnlin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

A friend gave me a mother from her Jun culture this evening, and the instructions she gave me were to use 6 cups of high-quality organic green tea, such as Gunpowder, and 1-2 cups of honey (her culture likes 2 cups). When the tea is room temperature, pour into a large glass jar (hers is a 1 gallon jar), and put the mother in it, along with a little of the brew from a prior batch. Cover top with a mesh or cheesecloth to keep our flying critters attracted to the honey. She said it takes less time to brew than kombucha -- 3-4 days. I tasted some of hers tonight and it was ambrosia -- like a fine, dry white wine with a hint of honey flavor and a delicate sweetness. I brewed kombucha for a few years and this was much better than any kombucha I'd ever had. She did tell me that the Jun is more delicate and fussy than kombucha. It likes cooler temperatures, since its from Tibet. So, I'm making the tea tonight and i can't wait to see how she grows! More tips my friend shared: The brew can be mixed with apple or pear juice when you put it in bottles to refrigerate, and/or you can add spices such as cardamom (her favorite), cinnamon, and nutmeg. Only add these to the brew after it has been poured off from the mother. Also, don't refrigerate the mother because she'll die. OK, that's the extent of my knowledge for now!

Old 05-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #3
hombrewthatstuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Any updates on your Jun brewing Philnin?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
HomeBrewerB
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you were making this from scratch, could you use a yeast instead of a used mother. I'm new to all this and would like to make a batch for me father since his favorite "kombucha" is this jun.
any recipes, fermenting techniques, or tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance mate!

Drinking: Caribou Slobber Brown Ale, California Wheat, Irish Red
Up Next: Extra Pale Ale, Blonde RYE

Old 05-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrewerB View Post
If you were making this from scratch, could you use a yeast instead of a used mother. I'm new to all this and would like to make a batch for me father since his favorite "kombucha" is this jun.
any recipes, fermenting techniques, or tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance mate!
HomeBrewerB....from all I have read about Jun, it differs from kombucha in that a true Jun culture is all bacterial, whereas KT as we know it is bacteria + yeast.

The founder of a super successful commercial brewer of Jun gave a rare interview here, http://www.eugeneweekly.com/article/...acred-cultures. If anyone ever chances upon a sample of his Jun-based beverages they are just amazing. He has put a lot of work into his process, to maintain the integrity of his culture and the final product. The fact he has consulted with Cornell University speaks volumes to me.

I have a Jun mother en route for less than $6. My source said anyone is welcome to contact her for a Jun culture, (sara@thepathoftruth dot com).

I plan on doing an anaerobic ferment, low and slow, and look forward to being able to use all green tea and raw honey without damaging the culture. There is not a lot of published info on Jun, appears to be a closely guarded secret. Anyone know a Tibetan monk?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I can always count on people here to have broached a topic I'm looking for but I'm starting to be rather amused that it's Sara who always shares what I really wanted to know.

That said, when I tried to do my last batch, apparently the tea I had had some kind of spice added which killed the bacteria in the scoby I had. How did yours turn out Sara? Or even Phil if he sees this.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Synaster
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I'd love to start brewing this as well if anyone can share a mother.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
Amaranthim
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

I Googled and found this link: http://www.kombuchabrooklyn.com/jun-home-brew-kit.html

If inappropriate because is a commercial site, apologis and please delete. Seems a tad pricey, tbh.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
kyt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthim View Post
I Googled and found this link: http://www.kombuchabrooklyn.com/jun-home-brew-kit.html

If inappropriate because is a commercial site, apologis and please delete. Seems a tad pricey, tbh.
Try Kombucha Nation on Facebook, you can get a free culture from lots of people if you pay for the shipping. USPS flat-rate is $6 something

Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My Jun is going gangbusters. Definitely not kombucha. Culture ferments a full 10F lower than kombucha, anaerobic (lactobacillus is dominant, in kombucha it is aerobic acetobacter), no yeast threads like kombucha, ferments 4-7-10 days compared to 14-21+ days with kombucha.

My source is from Kombucha Nation Facebook group.
If you get Jun PLEASE make sure someone has not just plopped a kombucha scoby in green tea and honey and calling it Jun, so not the case but it is happening.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply