Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Brewing beer and kombucha in the same house

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Brewing beer and kombucha in the same house

So this question is for all you homebrewers who make both kombucha and beer (or mead, or wine, or whatever). Do you keep your kombucha near your beer/mead/wine during fermentation, or as far away as possible?

My wife and I are just starting to get into brewing our own kombucha, and are trying to figure out the best place to keep it during fermentation. I have a closet under the stairs where I do my beer and mead fermentation, bulk aging and bottle "cellaring". This would seem to be the best place to do the kombucha as well, since it's clean, cool, dark, and not near food.

But I don't want the kombucha and its menagerie of mysterious microbes to jeopardize my beer and mead.

And to clarify, my beer and mead fermentations are all closed, but (especially for mead) I do take the lid off from time to time for samples, nutrient additions, etc.

Am I just being paranoid? Someone give me a reality check here. Thanks!

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
vacax
Recipes 

I keep them separate. Kombucha you can pretty much store anywhere since temperature is not really important, it just controls the speed of fermentation.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
BillyGHusk
Recipes 

hadn't thought of that being an issue. But I don't have any equipment cross over with the two. I also just keep my Kombucha in an upper cabinet in our kitchen.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i do both, in the same room. i've never had a problem with 'cross contamination' but you'll never be sorry that you took too much precaution.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I'm a little late in checking back, but thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll be careful but not paranoid.

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Quick Reply