Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Bottling kombucha questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
BrightEyes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling kombucha questions

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out the best way to bottle my kombucha without having to refrigerate or getting bottle bombs. I want to let it ferment until dry, but I don't want to end up with vinegar.
My idea is to let it ferment aerobically for the usual amount of time, put an airlock on it until it is dry, then prime with 1 ounce sugar per gallon before bottling? Wouldn't this just make it have a slightly higher alcohol content but keep me from getting bottle bombs and keep it from turning to vinegar?
Thanks for your input!
Scott

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
jambafish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When you bottle don't give it any headspace. That's what commercial brewers do to keep the alcohol down and keep new SCOBYs from forming.

Personally, I let it go dry, keg it with late additions, force carb, then bottle to the very top. You don't get the same carbonation you would with carbing in the bottle with headspace, but my goal is to stabilize the flavor, keep the alcohol low and prevent acetic acid, the agent causing the vinegar taste, from dominating.

Tap: DIPA, oaked Baltic porter, XXX pale ale, dark IPA

Bottle: vanilla kombucha, oaked puh-er kombucha, blueberry kombucha,

Primary: rose hip kombucha, oaked honey and oolong kombucha, hopped kombucha brewed with green tea infused with cab. grapes

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply