Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Bottling Kombucha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Zapped
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

onipar, you didn't mention the size of your beer bottles nor the amount of juices and berries you added. Just to give you another data point, I start my secondary (anaerobic) ferment in 1-liter glass swing-top bottles. I generally add a 100% cranberry, mixed-berry, or pomegranate juice and have tried 2oz to 4oz per liter - or 60 ml to 120ml per liter to use consistent units. I also think of that as somewhere between 1:8 or 1:16 ratio of juice:kombucha. The juice label claims 30gm sugar per 8oz serving of the juice, so that means I'm adding 8gm to 15gm sugar per liter prior to the start of secondary ferment.

After one day of room-temperature secondary fermentation, some of the bottles will "burp" slightly if I open the swing-top, and some won't. If I swirl the bottle a bit before burping the bottle, sometimes I'll see a little kombucha-geyser start to form at the base of the bottle about 5 seconds after burping it, and then I have to cap it quickly before I get a strong eruption. After two days of room-temp 2nd ferment, all the bottle will burp pretty forcefully, and all will erupt if I don't re-seal the bottle quickly. I'll sometimes go a 3rd day before refrigeration because I prefer a strongly carbonated drink.

I don't drink a liter at a time, and I don't want any leftoever brew to go flat, so I actually re-bottle the 1-liter bottles into 12oz to 16oz glass bottles. Because I lose a little carbonation during the transfer I almost always leave the smaller bottles at room temp for another 24 to 36 hours. I guess you could call that a tertiary fermentation if you like those high-dollar words

What I described in the last paragraph as an "eruption" sounds dramatic, but really there is still time to tip the 1-liter bottle over my strainer+funnel and get it into the smaller bottles with minimal loss. I do this transfer in a very clean, large plastic bowl, and I recapture the ounce or two that gets spilled as well. I've heard that if I refrigerate the 1-liter bottles before the transfer I can reduce the carbonation loss, but I haven't tried that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Zapped, thanks so much for the extra info!

Honestly, I wasn't very precise with my additions. I should have been, but I was in a rush. I basically just added stuff to the bottles (12 oz) before pouring the kombucha on top.

The juice I think I added something like 3 table spoons, if I had to guess. I put something like 8 blueberries in one (i squeeze them between my fingers before dropping them in. Maybe 4 cherries that I chopped up went in the other. And probably about 1 tablespoon of ginger and 1 teaspoon of lime juice in the last.

These are all estimations. In the future I'll be much more precise.

Chaucer, I'm also thinking about buying a scoby, but for now, my homegrown is working. the Kombucha Kamp rep posted in another forum about how the ones we're growing is from the "reformulated" kombucha, and thus has a different taste, and reduced probiotics (though there doesn't seem to be definitive info on which ones/how much, etc).

After some more reading, I noticed that GT Dave mentioned that the reformulated version is easier for newbies to enjoy (I think he refers to it as the "light" version), and that the "classic" has more bite. That bit of info actually has made me rethink buying a SCOBY, because I rather like the flavor of the one I'm making, and I'm not sure if I'd enjoy more "bite" or not.

If you do buy one, I'd appreciate a side by side review of a homegrown SCOBY versus the purchased one, and how the resulting Kombucha differs. I wanted to do something like that eventually, but have no immediate plans to.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
Chaucer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
Chaucer, I'm also thinking about buying a scoby, but for now, my homegrown is working. the Kombucha Kamp rep posted in another forum about how the ones we're growing is from the "reformulated" kombucha, and thus has a different taste, and reduced probiotics (though there doesn't seem to be definitive info on which ones/how much, etc).

After some more reading, I noticed that GT Dave mentioned that the reformulated version is easier for newbies to enjoy (I think he refers to it as the "light" version), and that the "classic" has more bite. That bit of info actually has made me rethink buying a SCOBY, because I rather like the flavor of the one I'm making, and I'm not sure if I'd enjoy more "bite" or not.

If you do buy one, I'd appreciate a side by side review of a homegrown SCOBY versus the purchased one, and how the resulting Kombucha differs. I wanted to do something like that eventually, but have no immediate plans to.

The SCOBY I'm growing is a little over a week old and seems to be doing well. I did end up ordering one, too - because I don't think I'll be satisfied unless I find out what kombucha produced that way tastes like, as well. I have swing-tops and mason jars (I'm going to monitor carb closely, I guess) for bottling and will probably do some sort of elderberry-herbal thing for the first batch. I will most definitely take notes and put up some sort of post with my observations and pictures.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer View Post
The SCOBY I'm growing is a little over a week old and seems to be doing well. I did end up ordering one, too - because I don't think I'll be satisfied unless I find out what kombucha produced that way tastes like, as well. I have swing-tops and mason jars (I'm going to monitor carb closely, I guess) for bottling and will probably do some sort of elderberry-herbal thing for the first batch. I will most definitely take notes and put up some sort of post with my observations and pictures.
Awesome! I really appreciate that. I never did buy one because (as I mentioned in a different thread), I found that after adding black tea to my mix, the SCOBY grown from that batch was thick and pure white, and much better looking. I haven't tasted that batch yet, but it smells great.

Looking forward to what you find.

Quick Reply