Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Baby Scoby Rising Out of the Liquid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Hordan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Baby Scoby Rising Out of the Liquid

Does anyone here find that the baby starts to rise out of the liquid, due to the gas pushing it up? And if so, is that a bad thing?

After a few days of brewing, I see this happening. I end up pushing it back down into the liquid, only to find that a day or so later it's risen again.

Will I get a better brew if I continue to do this? I know it's not necessary, per se, but I feel like the baby should be in contact with the liquid in order to infuse the Kombucha with the most amount of bacteria and yeast.

Thanks for your input!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
porcupine73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I have had that happen when the scoby is very thin. I use porcelain water dispensers with a clean shirt and rubber band over the top. Sometimes on new batches if I lift the tshirt up, the scoby will be there stuck to it. Once I have established scobies greater than maybe 3/8" thick it doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply