Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Anyone have Kombucha show up on your Blood Work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Husher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
You make it sound like your a recovering addict..lol..
Maybe I shouldn't have been using the spoon and syringe. That could have been it....
Old 10-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post
I was using a large Glass Jar (made in Italy) purchased at Winners. I'm assuming nothing bad with the glass. Winners sells defective crap, but it was still made in Italy, the gasket on the lid just didn't fit right - but I didn't care for what I'm doing.

The lid had a paper towel secured with a rubber band. It was fermented over a 2 week period. When bottling, I added to fruit juice so that it was 80% kombucha in a 500 ml bottle. I used Grolsh green Swing top bottles, circa 1982 with real ceramic lids. And I'd have half of that bottle a day. Sometimes less, but never more. Usually I'd have a small sip every now and then and then have some more hours later.

I was only using for about 3 weeks when my blood work was flagged, so it could have been a coincidence, but there was no other reason for the flag, so I'm assuming that was it.
only 1/2 cup (125ml) max is often the suggested daily serving. well somewhere around there, possibly up to a cup. it's been awhile since i've researched it. i've felt an almost allergic reaction to kt if i drink too much. i drink about 1/2 cup daily. closer to 1/3.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
draven
Recipes 

I registered on this forum just so I could post this.

I'm positive, for some people, kombucha does cause liver damage(lost appetite, lost weight, had dry skin, etc..doctor confirmed via lab test with elevated liver profile). It did for me and I'm still recovering from it. I took the GT brand of kombucha and drank half a bottle once a day for several months.

As mentioned here, http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4800.0, this person too had liver damage after taking only kombucha, omega 3.6.9., and borage oil.

I too have been taking kombucha, omega3.6.9., but no borage oil.

Maybe it's the combination of omega3.6.9 and kombucha? I've been taking the omega3.6.9 for years(and continue to do so). So, it can't be the omega3.6.9(all plant/seed based) at least not by itself.

Anyways, I'm glad I've stopped before it was too late.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven
I registered on this forum just so I could post this.

I'm positive, for some people, kombucha does cause liver damage(lost appetite, lost weight, had dry skin, etc..doctor confirmed via lab test with elevated liver profile). It did for me and I'm still recovering from it. I took the GT brand of kombucha and drank half a bottle once a day for several months.

As mentioned here, http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4800.0, this person too had liver damage after taking only kombucha, omega 3.6.9., and borage oil.

I too have been taking kombucha, omega3.6.9., but no borage oil.

Maybe it's the combination of omega3.6.9 and kombucha? I've been taking the omega3.6.9 for years(and continue to do so). So, it can't be the omega3.6.9(all plant/seed based) at least not by itself.

Anyways, I'm glad I've stopped before it was too late.
Borage oil can cause liver problems, so says three medical professionals I consulted...and the CDC is saying omega 3 can cause problems with kombucha intake. Kombucha is not for everyone and I applaud those who consult their physicians and let them know they drink kombucha or kefir, etc.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
angelw
Recipes 

Default Elevated Liver Enzymes & Kombucha

I have similar results with blood work test results - elevated liver enzymes - if this is still an active thread I can elaborate if you are interested. Did yours go back down after quitting the kombucha? I just received my results and am a little freaked out - really high ALT (and high AST too). I don't take drugs or drink alcohol but have been drinking (a strongly fermented) kombucha from glass and taking borage oil.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelw View Post
I have similar results with blood work test results - elevated liver enzymes - if this is still an active thread I can elaborate if you are interested. Did yours go back down after quitting the kombucha? I just received my results and am a little freaked out - really high ALT (and high AST too). I don't take drugs or drink alcohol but have been drinking (a strongly fermented) kombucha from glass and taking borage oil.
How much kombucha are you drinking a day, and define strongly fermented. Have you talked to your physician about taking borage oil plus kombucha? No other meds, supplements, anything? And the elevated enzymes are noted since you started consuming one or both, any correlation? Ed Kasper at Happy Herbalist would likely be worth consulting with, his website has the info. You may have already looked at this but within the post are links to articles which you may find useful... http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4800.0

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply