Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Anyone have Kombucha show up on your Blood Work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Husher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Anyone have Kombucha show up on your Blood Work?

A While back I did my yearly physical which showed slightly elevated liver activity (don't ask me for specifics - I'm just repeating), which my doctor insisted wasn't linked to alcohol, but was something he wanted follow up testing on, over and over. Anyways, After the second test, even more slightly higher activity, I mentioned kombucha, and he asked me to drop it for the next test so we could rule it out.

Anyways, the activity was slightly increasing for the first two test, and most recently the third test showed decreasing activity after not having had any for months. I have a follow up test in a month or so, but I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience.

Of course my DR isn't trained to know anything about Herbal stuff so he can't tell me if this is a normal reaction to kombucha, only that something is off and he wants to keep looking until he solves it or it resolves on it's own.

I'm thinking if I'm 'back to Normal' in the future, I might try kombucha again as it seems obvious that my liver was stimulated and that the levels were no where near harmful. After I confirm with the Doc....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Husher
Recipes 

Really? 129 views an no one has had a similar experience?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Hm well I don't have a clue, other than to say that conventional 'doctoretrics' has many flaws built into it for a variety of reasons. One point to note is the liver is major detoxification organ in the body, and responsible for many other processes. So if increased liver activity is due to kombucha, who is to necessarily say this is a bad thing?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I haven't had that experience but kombucha does have some alcohol (small amount like less than 1%) in it and is filled with a bunch of yeast and bacteria so it's probably elevated from that. They don't really know what it does to you from what I understand but elevated liver stuff (as mentioned by porcupine) wouldn't seem that unusual...

Old 10-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you have these same tests with data BEFORE you even started kombucha consumption, as a baseline? Wondering if your liver has an issue metabolizing some specific components of kombucha tea or are there any medications(CDC says medications for hypertension, renal (kidney) problems, and hormone replacement medications have been known to react to kombucha but when k-bucha ingestion is stopped the side effects halt and every person returned to baseline), herbals, vitamins/supplements that can be the root cause (Omega-3 is a big trigger for many people)?

Interesting article about impact of kombucha on your liver: http://www.livestrong.com/article/354611-information-on-the-benefits-of-kombucha/

CDC report about negative impact from kombucha, circa 1995: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00039742.htm

Found a discussion from way back in 2007, so of course cannot speak to if any of the information actually applies today:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4800.0

I think it would be beneficial to speak with someone who understands kombucha and the way it works. The person that comes to mind is Ed Kasper of The Happy Herbalist. Here is the link to some of his kombucha info http://www.happyherbalist.com/analysis_of_kombucha.htm, but then again if it were me Ed would be the man I consulted with and then speak to my MD. I know Ed is very involved with keeping kombucha alive and legal, plus he is well known within the kombucha community. Ed even says: "The American FDA and CDC has investigated all reports of health concerns and has found kombucha tea to be safe." ---> perhaps need to visit the CDC and US FDA website and do some research about kombucha and its recent stance with these organizations.

I personally have had no negative issues since starting to consume kombucha more than three years ago, labs are fine and in fact in the winter we had to add blood pressure medications (just added the THIRD med on 10/1---big sigh, sad face) and we monitor my liver enzymes quarterly and no change from my baseline 20 years ago. And I am a kombucha, water kefir, milk kefir, homemade yogurt and sourdough addict...but all in moderation.

Best of luck in figuring this puzzle out...and congrats for seeing your MD on a routine basis, kudos for that!!

Motto: quel che sara sara

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 10-22-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

What type of liver activity? Elevated white cell count? What sort of Kombucha were you drinking? Are you making it? If so with what and how?

Old 10-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Husher
Recipes 

I don't know the exact test. But it usually indicated blocked liver ducts. Had an ultrasound and found nothin.
I was making my own, based on GT's commercial kombucha, and organic black tea.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

What sort of equipment were you using and how much Kombucha were you consuming on a daily basis?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Husher
Recipes 

I was using a large Glass Jar (made in Italy) purchased at Winners. I'm assuming nothing bad with the glass. Winners sells defective crap, but it was still made in Italy, the gasket on the lid just didn't fit right - but I didn't care for what I'm doing.

The lid had a paper towel secured with a rubber band. It was fermented over a 2 week period. When bottling, I added to fruit juice so that it was 80% kombucha in a 500 ml bottle. I used Grolsh green Swing top bottles, circa 1982 with real ceramic lids. And I'd have half of that bottle a day. Sometimes less, but never more. Usually I'd have a small sip every now and then and then have some more hours later.

I was only using for about 3 weeks when my blood work was flagged, so it could have been a coincidence, but there was no other reason for the flag, so I'm assuming that was it.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher
I was only using for about 3 weeks
You make it sound like your a recovering addict..lol..
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
People Like This 

Quick Reply