Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Anyone have experience with Ginger Beer Plant?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
Fanoffermentation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone have experience with Ginger Beer Plant?

I had been reading a bit about GBP, sounds very interesting. Anyone have experience with it and a reliable source??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
somecallmetex
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bought cultures from www.yemoos.com before (kefir and water kefir). I am looking at buying ginger beer plant from them soon as well.

Primary- On hiatus until full wort setup complete

Secondary - EdWort's Apfelwein (Jun '11), (Feb '12), (Feb '12),

Agin/Drinking-EdWort's Apfelwein EC-1118) (Jan '11), Chocolate Raspberry Port (Fall '10), Blackberry Port (Fall '11)

Old 07-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #3
Fanoffermentation
Recipes 

Cool, thanks. I'll look into them. You never know who you are dealing with online, so I appreciate the recommendation.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
mjhszig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

*>Read several posts down more more info on this, as there is some controversy surrounding it<*

***FOR ANYONE WANTING TO BUY A GBP*** - IMPORTANT

Yes, you can order them on-line, but right now every supplier that I've found is back ordered. So I decided to take my chances and grow one myself... *WITHOUT YEAST. Naturally occurring yeast in the ginger and bacteria from the air will start to grow in the solution, and the result will be a Ginger Beer Plant.

Its simple and it only took 36 hours till it started bubbling, at 48 hrs its burping and slooshing around a bit. It's going to take awhile till its mature (at least 7 days, but shipping takes that long anyway, right???), but comes with the satisfaction that I grew it myself...

(ratio it out as desired...)

2 Pints sterile/spring/dechlorinated/bottled water
4 tsp fresh grated Ginger (dropped in boiling water for 60 secs to sterilize)
4 tsp powdered Ginger
8 tsp "Sugar in the Raw" or any other organic, unrefined cane/palm sugar, the darker and more moist, the better
1 lemons worth juice

put all in a sterilized jar covered with cheese/muslin cloth, and swirl it around
feed 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp powdered ginger a day
add crushed egg shells, spoon of dark molasses, or a pinch of cream of tartar after 7 days to really give it the nutrients it needs to thrive

Now you grew your own GBP for "free" and didn't have to wait for it to be shipped...

Last edited by mjhszig; 01-29-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Gunslinger711 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You say you're using naturally occurring yeast in the ginger, but then you're dropping it in boiling water to sterilize it? Wouldn't this kill most of the yeast?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
CHERYLinND
Recipes 

Default Sterilizing

I believe the boiling water comes prior to the grating, so the outer surfaces that could have bacteria are sterilized.

From a stricly microbiological definition, this is not sterilizing but sanitizing the surface. Boiling water for 60 seconds would not kill all microbes, especially those that are really embedded in the surface. It would wash off those things right on the surface that were recently picked up through handling, though.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Sure its possible to have Saccharomyces florentinus and the bacterium Lactobacillus hilgardii on ginger in the wild. It had to come from somewhere right? I would guess you would just get some wild yeast normally. Does it form a scoby?

Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
mjhszig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After notifying people of this someone pointed out that this makes a "plant", but not S.f&Laco (a scoby)

*so this was my reply as part of this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/ging...ml#post3709708
>
"Yes, a GBP is specifically Saccharomyces florentinus and Lactobacillus.

When I first heard of GBP years and years ago I was taught/learned that S.florentinus naturally occurs in ginger root, and the bacteria Lacto is also just naturally occurring in most homes and the fermenting ginger and sugar gives rise to the yeast which is then a perfect environment for the bacteria to set in via being exposed to the open air.Over time it develops into a scoby.

HOWEVER, I've spent like 4 hrs straight and yet to find anything that proves OR disproves this idea! I can't find any info on where S.f actually comes from, or it's origin. I read several places that state the GBP's original origin is actually UNKNOWN(?). All the research I can find only talks about what it is, how it works, what it does, and how to take care of it, but never where it comes from, other than saying in ginger water. According to the internet, it only exists in yeast banks, or people's kitchens, but it must live somewhere in nature, and have a origin. Everything else is everyone stating that certain strains are fake, or not the real GBP, etc.

So now Im quite perplexed.... Anyone have information on this???

For now, I will continue to mature this plant. It smells exactly like a GBP that I smelled in the past, (at least from memory) and it is supposed to form a gelatinous mass as well. Then make a brew to see what the outcome is, and report back."

Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
mjhszig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
You say you're using naturally occurring yeast in the ginger, but then you're dropping it in boiling water to sterilize it? Wouldn't this kill most of the yeast?
No, like CHERRYLinND said, it's just sanitizing the surface (bad word chioce).

The root itself barely gets hot, it just kills anything living on the surface without the use of chemicals... The internal yeast definitely isnt killed off, as it only take about 12 hours before you can tell its alive

Old 01-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

That makes sense!

Quick Reply