Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Anyone Growing a Scoby from GT's Please read!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #31
jambafish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You risk too many things at low temperatures, such as molds. The yeast and bacteria in GT are of a type that loves higher heat (70-85 degrees). I've found it does well at around 80 with overhead heat that encourages bacteria growth rather than a heating pad that encourages yeast growth.

Tap: DIPA, oaked Baltic porter, XXX pale ale, dark IPA

Bottle: vanilla kombucha, oaked puh-er kombucha, blueberry kombucha,

Primary: rose hip kombucha, oaked honey and oolong kombucha, hopped kombucha brewed with green tea infused with cab. grapes

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #32
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Is it confirmed that GT enlightened will not be able to grow a SCOBY?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #33
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

GT enlightened will grow a scoby. Personally I didn't have the best of luck with it; it grew slowly for me and was slow to ferment in comparison to a scoby that had been created from the 'pre change' formula. However I have heard others say they are successfully using a scoby from GT's enlightened and it is working well for them. Since the main reason for the 'enlightened' formula was to alter the culture to be less likely to produce alcohol after bottling, I prefer the 'old school' formula.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #34
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Ok thanks for the great info. Maybe I will try the 2 bottles of englishtened anyway while I look for a better source.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #35
Cheapo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If the stuff on the shelves now is the enlightened then yes it does work, that's how I grew mine, and its 4 gal batches at a time now :-)

Edit: just wanted to add (forgive me its morning lol) I looked for the ones with the most culture grown in the bottle. Then i brought it home and simply took the caps off and coffee filtered the top with an elastic band. I let them grow in the bottle til the co2 was pushing them up into the bottle neck and by that time it was pretty vinegary. I plopped both scobies into a 2L juice jug and gave them a new batch of tea, with a bit less than the usual 1 cup to 1 gal sugar ratio (meaning just under half a cup for 2L) and let them go for about a week. The KT wasnt very good quality at first while they grew, but once I had a solid scoby formed, it just got better with each batch.

So in short, yes it works with the enlightened if thats the only thing on the shelves now lol

Primary 3: Makeshift 'Draft'
Secondary 1: Empty.... :(
Secondary 2: Empty.... :(

Quick Reply