The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Anyone Growing a Scoby from GT's Please read!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHERYLinND View Post
Do you notice a dramatic difference in taste when you use molasses for the sugar source?
Oh ya, i dont recommend drinking it with molasses as the sugar source unless you REALLY like molasses. I personally would just use the molasses to grow your scoby and then use a better tasting sugar source for drinking. I personally am using 5oz dextrose and 3 oz raw sugar for my drinking culture. The reason being that Glucose / Dextrose (corn syrup) produce almost all gluconic acids with very little acetic acid. I personally am more interested in the gluconic acid than i am in acetic acid. acetic acid is what creates that vinegar like flavor, and i do love vinegar on my salads and stuff i am not really interested in drinking it lol. Plus gluconic acid helps the liver in many ways and helps with detoxifying the body.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
CHERYLinND
Recipes 

Default Thank you! Good to know

I will keep that in mind. My class will be starting their batches of Kombucha next week, so I will just supplement with molasses today to bulk them up. Thank you for the pointers!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Vance71975
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHERYLinND View Post
I will keep that in mind. My class will be starting their batches of Kombucha next week, so I will just supplement with molasses today to bulk them up. Thank you for the pointers!
No problem glad to help!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
Jayblefty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I started on 2-19 and today 3-15 I have a SCOBY ready to go. Probably going to start a gallon tonight. So under a month and I grew a mother from a bottle of GTs. Recipe and procedure is in an above post

Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #15
Vance71975
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayblefty View Post
So I started on 2-19 and today 3-15 I have a SCOBY ready to go. Probably going to start a gallon tonight. So under a month and I grew a mother from a bottle of GTs. Recipe and procedure is in an above post
Awesome congrats man!

Old 05-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
paleobucha
Recipes 

Just to summarize to make sure I've got it right from this and other threads. You are suggesting to grow your own Scoby, something like the following ratios and process:

FOR ½ Gallon Scoby
(1) bottle Kombucha
(3) Cups boiled & cooled tap water
(1.5) Cups brewed tea
(1/2) Cup sugar/molasses (molasses for superior speed!)

Don’t add Kombucha until everything cooled to room temp
pitch into sanitized jug
swirl gently
cover with rubberbanded cloth & let sit for 10 days+

You can then move the Scoby to your drinking culture process and use the liquid for salad dressing or something.

Does growing a bigger Scoby batch have advantages?

Last edited by paleobucha; 05-20-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
bagsmode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, just researching this stuff myself, and wanted to inform that public radio org had a good piece on making Kombucha. Also, stated that using teas with heavy oils hinder the fermentation. Not sure if that was the case with the teas you used, but since you were using skin detox and some other than plain, could have had a hand in it:
http://www.publicradio.org/columns/s..._kombucha.html

Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
Hey all, Just wanted to share a lil info on culturing a Scoby from GT's, i am in no way an expert, But i did a little test run with 3 different sugars. I used Honey,Molasses and White table sugar, with one great value iced tea bag and 4 Herbal tea bags per quart jar. I split a bottle of GT's Synergy Trilogy between the 3 quart jars, Each had 3 table spoons of one of the three sugars above. Here are the 10 day results.

White Sugar- thin Scoby not thick enough to transfer

Honey- A bit thicker than the white Sugar but still to thin to transfer

Molasses- Nice firm Scoby that is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick not flimsy and easy to transfer.

My conclusion is that if you want to culture from a bottle of GT's it is best to use Black Strap Molasses for your first culture then move your nice thick Scoby to whatever your preferred sugar source and tea blend is.

The Herbal teas i used were all from Yogi, The Molasses was used with their Woman's Moon Cycle tea.

The white Sugar was used with their Healthy Fasting Tea.

The honey was used with their Skin Detox tea.

It was a blend of 4 herbal tea bags and one Great value Iced Tea bag that is a blend of black tea and Orange Pekoe tea.

Just the results i had. But from now on if i culture any more Scoby's it will be using Black Strap Molasses! The moving they scoby to a 5-1 blend of Dextrose and Sugar in the raw. 5 parts Dextrose 1 part Sugar in the raw.
It is hard to draw any conclusions in your experiment because you did not use the same tea base for the 3 different sugars. I would be interested to see how the three different SCOBYs turned out had you used the same tea base for the white sugar and honey that you used for the molasses.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #19
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
The reason being that Glucose / Dextrose (corn syrup) produce almost all gluconic acids with very little acetic acid. I personally am more interested in the gluconic acid than i am in acetic acid. acetic acid is what creates that vinegar like flavor, and i do love vinegar on my salads and stuff i am not really interested in drinking it lol. Plus gluconic acid helps the liver in many ways and helps with detoxifying the body.
According to this article at PublicRadio.org, the compound produced in our livers is glucuronic acid, not the byproduct of glucose that has a similar name, gluconic acid.

An excerpt from the article:
Unfortunately, repeated laboratory analysis has found that glucuronic acid is not actually present in kombucha. Possibly it has been confused with a related compound that is a metabolic by-product of glucose, gluconic acid, which is commonly found in ferments and other foods.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #20
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Some people will send out free scobies for cost of a priority mail box.

The problem with the new GT's or most any storebought kombucha is that they changed the formulation back around 2007 to minimize the possibility of alcohol production. So that tells me they probably either removed one or more strains of yeast or substituted them with some other yeast. I did not have very good luck trying to form a scoby from GT's. And even when it did, the brew was always slow to ferment, and didn't seem to have the robust flavor. A friend sent me a scoby from KT she had been brewing for many years made from GT's before the formulation change and that is the one I stuck with.

Quick Reply