Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Adding yeast nutrient to kt???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
bratrules
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Adding yeast nutrient to kt???

Has anybody ever added yeast nutrient to a batch of kombucha?? I wondering if it would help the fermentation any and will it benefit the health of the scoby? If anybody has any thoughts on the subject i would love to hear them!

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
kyt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 57

If you add fuel to the yeast it may overwhelm the bacteria with alcohol and CO2. Both of which will slow and ultimately stop the bacteria from functioning. You'd end up with tea wine without proper balance.

Don't let that stop you from giving it a shot if you'd like to experiment! Make sure you report your findings though. I'd like to know as well.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyt View Post
If you add fuel to the yeast it may overwhelm the bacteria with alcohol and CO2. Both of which will slow and ultimately stop the bacteria from functioning. You'd end up with tea wine without proper balance.

Don't let that stop you from giving it a shot if you'd like to experiment! Make sure you report your findings though. I'd like to know as well.
You make a great point!! I wouldn't want to mess up the harmonious balance of yeast and bacteria that make kt possible lol. Maybe in the near future I will give it a shot. Since my scoby is only 3 weeks old and 1/2 thick and on its second batch. When it gets a little big ill give a shot with one of the babies.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Quick Reply