Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Adding new yeast strains and bacteria to your SCOBY?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Hordan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Super Scoby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
No problem. I had just heard so much conflicting information about this that I started to wonder if I could simply add what was lacking.
Onipar, don't give up! Let me tell you what I did...

Ok, not sure if this made a difference or not, but the logic seems sound. I wanted to do what you spoke of, basically introducing more beneficial bacteria into my Scoby. And since bacteria replicate very quickly, I thought it shouldn't be hard.

I was using a Scoby purchased online, so I wasn't sure what kind of bacteria it contained. But I do know that GT's Kombucha has some of the best bacteria. So what I did is I bought a bottle of Original GTs (unflavored). I poured it into a glass jar, added some sugar, covered it, and left it until a new little Scoby formed on top.

Then I added this little Scoby in with my original mother on a new batch. I can only assume that the baby Scoby was made up of bacteria from both of the mothers! I like to think of this as my Super Scoby!

You can do this with any store bought kombucha, since many of them contain many different kinds of bacteria.

Give it a try, let me know what you think!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Great idea! Actually, the only Kombucha I make was originally from a GT culture. I'm wondering, did you notice any flavor differences to the Kombucha once you were using the super scoby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordan View Post
Onipar, don't give up! Let me tell you what I did...

Ok, not sure if this made a difference or not, but the logic seems sound. I wanted to do what you spoke of, basically introducing more beneficial bacteria into my Scoby. And since bacteria replicate very quickly, I thought it shouldn't be hard.

I was using a Scoby purchased online, so I wasn't sure what kind of bacteria it contained. But I do know that GT's Kombucha has some of the best bacteria. So what I did is I bought a bottle of Original GTs (unflavored). I poured it into a glass jar, added some sugar, covered it, and left it until a new little Scoby formed on top.

Then I added this little Scoby in with my original mother on a new batch. I can only assume that the baby Scoby was made up of bacteria from both of the mothers! I like to think of this as my Super Scoby!

You can do this with any store bought kombucha, since many of them contain many different kinds of bacteria.

Give it a try, let me know what you think!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
Hordan
Recipes 

No, haven't noticed a flavor difference. You can do what I did, but instead of growing a GT Scoby, buy a different brand of kombucha for the store, one that has different probiotics than the GTs.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #14
Rahahb
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Seems like you could buy as many different brands of kombucha as you could, and make a cocktail out of all of them. Each will bring their own mix to the table and perhaps you could have the best from all.

Remember though, that pasteurized KT won't work, so not ALL commercial KT will work.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 AM   #15
Hordan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahahb View Post
Seems like you could buy as many different brands of kombucha as you could, and make a cocktail out of all of them. Each will bring their own mix to the table and perhaps you could have the best from all.

Remember though, that pasteurized KT won't work, so not ALL commercial KT will work.
That's a good suggestion! Will have to consider trying it. I wonder how they would all react with each other.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #16
areinhard
Recipes 

I bought my scoby online so I am not sure what strains it contains. From tests my doctor ran, I know that I am deficient in lactobacillus. Could I add a little bit from VSL #3 (a refrigerated probiotic supplement) to my current scoby? Has anyone done this or something similar? Also does anyone know how to test what strains are in your scoby? Is there a lab that you can send a sample off to or something you can do at home?

Quick Reply