Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > 5 gallon batches for noob?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #11
FromZwolle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photopilot View Post
Its like a vile carbonated vinegary drink first time you take a sip. If you manage to finish the bottle you'll be hooked. The yeast that creates it is a live organism, like a yeast pancake. Talk of pro-biotics and health benefits go along with it.

I like it in liew of caffeine in the morning. I think its the shivers and shakes form my bodies reaction to drinking vinegar that helps wake me up.
unlike beer/wine, you can drink kombucha at any point in the fermentation. If you let it get to the vinegar kick in the teeth, dilute with juice. I usually let it get about half fermented, then enjoy 'on the rocks'.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
chask31
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cocktail recipes please! Does the liquor kill the probiotic components?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn View Post
I scaled-up my kombucha production from a gallon jar to a 5-gallon bucket because I needed a few gallons for a bartending competition (kombucha is a great cocktail mixer).

It works well, but I would say it takes about twice as long as the gallon to reach the same level of tartness. An added advantage comes from using the fermenter bucket with a built in spigot, so you can drain off most of your product without disturbing the mother too much and still leave a half gallon in the bucket as a starter for the next batch.

I found that unlike making vinegar from wine, the kombucha is heavier than the sweet tea, so lift out the mother with tongs and stir before you drain it.

Cheers,
Quinn

Tap #1: Cucumber Honey Wheat Ale
Tap #2: Rye Ale
Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: empty
On Deck: Wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS