New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Would I want to try this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
FirstStateBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Would I want to try this?

I do NOT have an intolerance to gluten and don't know anyone that does. Would I even want to brew gluten free beer? The world seem to be buzzing with talk about gluten-free recipes. Why should I bother?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

The beauty of homebrewing gives us the ability to experiment. That said, if it doesn't interest you to experiment, don't. It's more expensive and and doesn't (IMO) taste as good. I would not personally mess with it since I too, have no intolerance or hang out with anyone who does.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I guess you might meet someone with an allergy that you could impress... But if you don't know a single person like that, I wouldn't bother.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4521 Times on 4242 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstStateBrewer View Post
I do NOT have an intolerance to gluten and don't know anyone that does. Would I even want to brew gluten free beer? The world seem to be buzzing with talk about gluten-free recipes. Why should I bother?
Those who are "buzzing" about Gluten-Free are celiacs, know celiacs, or are just generally excited to brew using alternative grains. Several of which have been widely available just not in a malted form.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
igliashon
Gluten-Freek
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

The way I see it, there are millions of people out there brewing with barley, and doing a damn fine job of it. How likely am I to do a better job than all of them? On the other hand, there are much, much fewer people brewing gluten-free beer, and judging by the offerings at the store, they're not doing such a great job of it. There is so much experimentation to be done, no sure-footed paths to follow, and no clear idea of what can or cannot be achieved. There are new taste possibilities that may actually be delicious, and may thus be of interest to non-celiac beer drinkers. There is also a sizeable market of gluten-intolerant former craft-beer aficionados that is being tremendously under-served by current offerings. Good gluten-free beer could be a life-changing experience for a lot of people. So, while I primarily brew gluten-free because I myself am gluten-intolerant, I also do it because I'm adventurous by nature and because I want to create something that will bring happiness to people. It's a challenge, absolutely, but I've made some tasty and interesting stuff that's not quite like regular beer and not quite like anything else, either.

But in any case, a gluten-free diet is not especially healthy unless you have gluten intolerance of some form. Lots of people out there are mistakenly adopting the diet because they think it's healthier, but it's not...wheat, barley, rye, etc. are all very healthy grains if you can digest them!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
The beauty of homebrewing gives us the ability to experiment. That said, if it doesn't interest you to experiment, don't. It's more expensive and and doesn't (IMO) taste as good. I would not personally mess with it since I too, have no intolerance or hang out with anyone who does.
That's what I figured. Just wanted to get some other opinions, in case I was missing something.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I didn't need it, it would be less likely for me to make it. If I wanted to look out for others or see about a viable market, then maybe. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #8
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Thank you for all of the input. I have a curiosity about gluten-free beer, but probably won't brew it myself, unless I know someone that is intolerant and would appreciate it.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:27 AM   #9
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
Lots of people out there are mistakenly adopting the diet because they think it's healthier, but it's not...
I think my whacky mother-in-law falls into that category! LOL!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
muench1
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think some gluten free grains deserve serious consideration as adjuncts in any beer.

Also, the average gluten-free diet in American is probably a lot healthier than the average conventional diet, just because so much of the junk and chemically engineered food has gluten.

Quick Reply