Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Whole Foods Sorghum Syrup vs Sorghum Liquid Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
cstarner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Whole Foods Sorghum Syrup vs Sorghum Liquid Extract

So I'm diving back into gluten free brewing after picking up a kegerator (my girlfriend in addition to her gluten allergy was diagnosed with a minor yeast allergy). I can cold crash now and get most of the yeast out.

Anyways, I've been by a whole foods investigating gluten free grains and sugars and have seen sorghum syrup. I recall it not being the same as sorghum liquid extract (not having the same barley like proteins). Can anyone tell me the difference between the two and any experience using the Whole Foods syrup?

Primary: O'Shields Irish Stout
Secondary: None
On Tap: Sudoku Chocolate Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
igliashon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

The stuff at whole foods is basically molasses; the sorghum plant produces canes with sweet juice, just like sugar cane, and people have been processing that stuff to make sorghum syrup for centuries. It will have zero grain flavor. I've had a beer made with it before, and it was a tasty beverage but not very beer-like at all. I could see using it in a brown ale or something, though, as an adjunct sugar....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply