Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > What to brew next...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by celiacsurvivor View Post
Sounds like it will be quite pale, and will have a lot of sorghum tang. I've never brewed with rice solids but I can't imagine they will add much flavour or colour.

Maybe some citrusy hops to go with the orange peel -cascades perhaps?
Most of my batches I've brewed with 1-2 lbs of Rice Syrup and 3-6 lbs of Sorghum and I've found that cutting the sorghum with rice really seems to eliminate the tang quite a bit. But you're right, a citrusy hops can help a lot too.

The working theory at the moment is that a lot of the tang may come from a high mineral concentration in sorghum. Since rice/sugar/tapioca have a low mineral concentration it would make sense that cutting sorghum with one of these would help to reduce or eliminate most of the problem tang.

I would say New Grist vs. Redbridge is a great example of how adding rice syrup can greatly improve the taste from pure sorghum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
Most of my batches I've brewed with 1-2 lbs of Rice Syrup and 3-6 lbs of Sorghum and I've found that cutting the sorghum with rice really seems to eliminate the tang quite a bit. But you're right, a citrusy hops can help a lot too.

The working theory at the moment is that a lot of the tang may come from a high mineral concentration in sorghum. Since rice/sugar/tapioca have a low mineral concentration it would make sense that cutting sorghum with one of these would help to reduce or eliminate most of the problem tang.

I would say New Grist vs. Redbridge is a great example of how adding rice syrup can greatly improve the taste from pure sorghum.
I agree, it really does seem that redbridge has a tangy, almost salty character...

At this point, I'm thinking about using hersbrucker and saaz hops for this. Though if my LHBS doesn't have the hersbrucker, I'm not sure what to substitute (I've got an ounce of fuggle...)

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 05-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
(I've got an ounce of fuggle...)
I once met this girl with a whole pound of fuggley

Old 05-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, the lhbs didn't have any Hersbrucker. Or saaz. Apparently he had a run on hops today.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Quick Reply