New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Ultimate GF Beer Quest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #21
Cainepolo12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

My bad, that was supposed to be for q-brewing. Read the quotations wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #22
q-Brewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR-GRN View Post
I'm looking forward to trying your gf beer, I would prefer not to wait 24 months so if you would be willing to share one of your recipes and your process I'd love yo give it a go, obviously I understand if you don't want to as it has become a business venture for you. Either way I'm glad to hear you've come across a recipe and a process that works.

Yes there are many other animals beside the few examples I gave, I was simply providing readily available (supermarket) examples; having previously lived in Vermont I've eaten my fair share of wild game, however I have yet to come across an animal that tastes exactly like beef; true animals taste similar to other animals, I've also been told that alligator tastes like chicken but have yet to try it for myself.
Even when you compare wild game to farm raised game the flavor is different (eg. Turkey). When you compare very closely related breeds of foul, the flavor is different. Is Cornish hen an acceptable substitute for chicken? yes but they don't taste exactly the same. If you served me Cornish hen on a plate next to chicken on a plate (assuming just meat) would I be able to tell you which was chicken and which was Cornish hen? no I couldn't; however would there be a noticeable flavor difference? Yes there would.
The recipe would not be easy for you to replicate, since it requires starting with raw quinoa, malting at very specific temperatures, deculming the rootletts, roasting, mashing, etc. Since you are close by, in CT, perhaps I can somehow get a bottle to you?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:38 AM   #23
q-Brewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainepolo12 View Post
My bad, that was supposed to be for q-brewing. Read the quotations wrong.
We have not yet completed our business plan. We are currently doing some trials in Canada from which we will be able to more precisely and accurately develop our proforma. We will need to raise quite a bit of money, but have not decided how we plan to do that yet.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
MobCraftBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Starting to malt the Buckwheat today, doing an alternating 8hr steep with 4hr air rest for the grain until i see rootlets, then spreading over a dish towel and spraying until the rootlets become twice the length of the grain. The buckwheat came from the bulk aisle of Outpost Natural Foods, and I've had success with malting it and even growing whole plants from this buckwheat in the past (for Honey, I started beekeeping about two years ago and buckwheat honey is unparalleled for flavor IMHO). I have also ordered 1lb of Floriani Red Flint Corn and if I have time today am going to see if I can order some dried whole chestnuts (kinda difficult to find this time of year)

Everytime you drink or brew beer, you are contributing to a culture 7,000 plus years in the making, never forget where you came from, or what inspires you.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #25
SPR-GRN
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by q-Brewing View Post
The recipe would not be easy for you to replicate, since it requires starting with raw quinoa, malting at very specific temperatures, deculming the rootletts, roasting, mashing, etc. Since you are close by, in CT, perhaps I can somehow get a bottle to you?
I sent you a PM, maybe we can figure something out.

Primary: Malbec
Secondary: Cabernet Franc
On Tap: Blonde, Brown, Cider, Marzen
Bottles: King Czar Stout, Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, Christmas Lager, 2 buck chuck wine
Aging: RIP RIP Stout (Rest In Peace Russian Imperial Stout)
Next batch(es): Cider

Updated: 4-4-2014

Old 02-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #26
MobCraftBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Found 5lb Bags of Dried Chestnuts for $55, am going to order some, Floriani Red Flint Corn came in, am going to attempt to malt half of it and save the other half for planting this year in the garden. The acrospires on the Buckwheat are just starting to protrude, am now going to swtich them to a damp towel exposed to the air and spritz them with water every time they seem to dry up as well as turn the grain once a day until the acrospire reaches approx the length of the grain, making sure to keep it away from direct sunlight (to prevent Photosynthesis). Pics to follow

Everytime you drink or brew beer, you are contributing to a culture 7,000 plus years in the making, never forget where you came from, or what inspires you.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #27
igliashon
Gluten-Freek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Why not order these: http://www.chestnuttrails.com/collections/frontpage/products/dried-whole-chestnuts $37 for a 5lb bag.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
MobCraftBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm ordering from the other because its a more local supplier to my region, with most of the chestnuts they sell grown in the midwest, yes they're a bit more expensive, but my other primary goal is to source ingredients locally, from suppliers/growers I know and trust.

Malting phase of both the corn and the buckwheat have been completed and am now patiently waiting for the next 48 hours for them to dry in my oven. The Buckwheat malted MUCH faster than the corn, as was to be expected. Once thoroughly dry, will do small scale mashing trials to determine the diastatic power and sugar potential of both batches separately and together. I will do this using a calibrated digital brix meter and a standard infusion mashing method.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #29
MobCraftBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have been trying unsuccessfuly for the last few weeks to order chestnuts, I guess I'll just have to wait until Fall....in other news I am getting ready to plant some of the Floriani red flint corn for spring (it malted well, but I don't have enough right now to do much with), and also have a few pounds of field corn and buckwheat malt, both of which turned out well, I will be doing mashing experiments next week to determine sugar content and diastatic power of the respective grains. In the meantime I will be relying on Hazelnuts in the stead of chestnuts for malting and mashing experiments and flavor profile development. Malting experiments with raw hazelnuts to start later this week. I did brew a hazelnut amber beer a few weeks ago with roasted hazelnuts in the mash and this turned out well, lots of rich nutty flavor, so we'll see how it does in GF beer....

Old 03-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #30
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

In your Hazelnut beer--what did you do? How much hazelnuts did you use, and how did you use them in the beer?

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Quick Reply