Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Trying out a GF Kit ....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #21
Androshen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just an update ... after a couple more weeks, the flavor of this beer is definitely improving!
Still not as good as my first batch - but certainly has possibilities!!

Whatever doesn't kill me ...... had better run alot faster than I can ....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #22
stefan1011
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androshen View Post
Just an update ... after a couple more weeks, the flavor of this beer is definitely improving!
Still not as good as my first batch - but certainly has possibilities!!
Thanks for the update. My batch has been in the bottle for almost 3 weeks. I drank a few after 8 days in the bottle. It had a bitter start, but a smooth finish. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I drank a total of six over the course of a week and decided to wait until a full three weeks to try it again.

On a related note, I brewed the GF Dark Ale kit (from the same supplier as the GF Honey Ale kit) on Saturday. It started to ferment much faster than the Honey Ale. This beer has great color and I am hoping it turns out alright.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #23
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan1011 View Post
How long did you leave your batch in the primary? My directions said to check gravity at 5-7 days after initial brewing. My batch has been in the primary for 10 days and is still bubbling in the airlock (approx every 30-40 seconds). I plan on taking a gravity reading near the end of this week to see where things are.
I think you will find the beer improves if you let it on the yeast, in the primary, for at least 2 weeks. I let my sit and bulk condition for at least 3 weeks. The yeast clean up after themselves.
Brew some more (get another primary container, too) and let the beer age.
good luck.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #24
stefan1011
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you midfielder5. I'll give this 2nd batch at least 3 weeks. This time I will try to let it sit in the bottle for at least 3 weeks as well. The waiting is by far the hardest part....

Old 04-29-2010, 05:23 AM   #25
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It is personal preference on the length of primary after the fermentation is done; just wanted to point out the option. Try different things and see what works for you. Enjoy.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #26
Androshen
Recipes 

My goal is to get enough beer ahead that I will always be drinking beer that has been bottled for *several* months ......

Whatever doesn't kill me ...... had better run alot faster than I can ....

Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #27
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androshen View Post
My goal is to get enough beer ahead that I will always be drinking beer that has been bottled for *several* months ......
I know exactly what you mean, I have 7 cases of GF beer and a case of 22 ozers... Since I am moving I might take a month or 2 off from brewing. Not looking forward to moving all this beer though

Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 AM   #28
patd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan1011 View Post
Thanks for the update. My batch has been in the bottle for almost 3 weeks. I drank a few after 8 days in the bottle. It had a bitter start, but a smooth finish. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I drank a total of six over the course of a week and decided to wait until a full three weeks to try it again.

On a related note, I brewed the GF Dark Ale kit (from the same supplier as the GF Honey Ale kit) on Saturday. It started to ferment much faster than the Honey Ale. This beer has great color and I am hoping it turns out alright.
How did the dark ale turn out? I'm about to tackle my first GF brew, and don't know if I should use one of these kits, or try an extract recipe from here...

Old 06-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #29
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patd View Post
How did the dark ale turn out? I'm about to tackle my first GF brew, and don't know if I should use one of these kits, or try an extract recipe from here...
The advantage of a kit is that everything you need comes in a box. With a recipe from here you just need to get the required ingredients and follow the recipe...or tweak it to your liking. I've never done a kit and am pretty satisfied with my beers but- try a kit, try a recipe, make up your own, either way you're brewing

Old 06-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #30
stefan1011
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

patd- The dark ale is actually turning into a great beer the more time I give it in the bottle. From the start it was not as bitter as the Honey ale beer kit was (which also has turned out to be an excellent beer as time progresses.)

My first two GF brews were kits and I feel that they were a great way to assure a decent outcome. They also gave me a starting point for future recipes. I just brewed an extract recipe that was posted here and it has gone well so far.

I agree with lcasanova that either way you are making beer and that is what it is all about...

Quick Reply