Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Trying out a GF Kit ....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
Androshen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
What hops did they provide?
The hops included were 1 oz of Mt. Hood pellet hops for bittering and 1 oz of Hallertau pellet hops for finishing.

I am not really a hoppy beer person, but my first batch (as scrumptious as it was) was too smooth to really taste like beer (not that it detracted from the addictiveness of it!!!) ... so I hope to add hops to get an edge but not to make it too hoppy.

Lord, I feel like a chemist!

Whatever doesn't kill me ...... had better run alot faster than I can ....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 03:06 AM   #12
stefan1011
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thank you david_42 and dkershner for the info. I am probably being overly cautious, but I know the consequences if I am not careful.

Androshen- I feel the same way about the commercially available gluten free beers. They lack that bite. But they are better than nothing.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:18 AM   #13
stefan1011
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just got an email response from FerMax regarding if their yeast was gluten free:

"Sorry we are unable to help you with your beer recipe. We are industrial use only.

Thank you for your inquiry."

Email response from Wyeast Labs regarding their yeast:

"Our yeast is NOT gluten free.

Sorry..."

Hope this is of help to someone.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
stefan1011
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Androshen I was wondering if you could tell me at what temperature you fermented this beer. Mine is fermenting at 64 F and after reading some more threads in this forum I am beginning to think that this may be a little too cool.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
Androshen
Recipes 

My "brew closet" in the basement had gotten down to about 65 earlier this winter so I put a small space heater in there and try to keep it about 70 - 75.
Since I have done this I had two 5 gallon carboys of wine and mead suddenly pick up and then finish out and are now ready to bottle.
So, I think I will try to keep the temp at about 70 - 75. The kit brewed nice at that temp and tasted promising when I bottled it. We should crack the bottles this coming weekend.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
stefan1011
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androshen View Post
My "brew closet" in the basement had gotten down to about 65 earlier this winter so I put a small space heater in there and try to keep it about 70 - 75.
Since I have done this I had two 5 gallon carboys of wine and mead suddenly pick up and then finish out and are now ready to bottle.
So, I think I will try to keep the temp at about 70 - 75. The kit brewed nice at that temp and tasted promising when I bottled it. We should crack the bottles this coming weekend.
Great information! Thank you kindly. I am going to up the temperature in my basement a few degrees and see how it goes. At 64 F I am getting steady bubble action in the airlock, but I want to make sure this batch turns out ok.

Enjoy those bottles this weekend. I am jealous....a few weeks to go until I am there.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #17
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
70ish is a good temp for wine, but a little too hot for beer, 65 would be about perfect for a standard ale yeast.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #18
Androshen
Recipes 

Tasted the kit batch this past weekend .... it is a different flavor than my first attempy. It is OK .... better than what we had bought in the stores - but I liked the first batch I made better. The kit said the carbonation would only take about 10 days but it seems a little light on the carbonation .... maybe it will build in time. It had a bit more bite than the brown ale I made so it definitly was a learning batch for me .... altogether, I am pleased.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #19
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Nice, I bet it changes over time- now go brew another beer and build up your pipeline!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #20
stefan1011
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Tasted the kit batch this past weekend .... it is a different flavor than my first attempy. It is OK .... better than what we had bought in the stores - but I liked the first batch I made better. The kit said the carbonation would only take about 10 days but it seems a little light on the carbonation .... maybe it will build in time. It had a bit more bite than the brown ale I made so it definitly was a learning batch for me .... altogether, I am pleased.
Thanks for the update. I am going to leave my kit batch in the primary for another week or so based on what I have read on this site. How long did you leave your batch in the primary? My directions said to check gravity at 5-7 days after initial brewing. My batch has been in the primary for 10 days and is still bubbling in the airlock (approx every 30-40 seconds). I plan on taking a gravity reading near the end of this week to see where things are.

I am going to buy the GF Dark Ale beer kit from the same supplier so I can have something to compare the GF Honey Ale to.

Quick Reply