Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Trying out a GF Kit ....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Androshen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trying out a GF Kit ....

My wife and I really liked the way our first batch turned out but we decided to try a kit for the next batch.
We only found 2 GF kits online ... both from the same place.
This is the one we are trying:
http://www.homebrewers.com/product/A...-Beer-Kit.html

I want to see how that turns out and then use that to modify how I do future batches.
Can't see us sticking solely with kits though ... it was pricey compared to what I can get the individual ingredients for.

Mainly we are looking for possible ways to modify our first batch, which was nearly addictive and just got better the longer they sat .... thank god they are gone!
Thanks to lcasanova for the recipe! It was the American Brown Ale .....

Whatever doesn't kill me ...... had better run alot faster than I can ....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Cyan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androshen View Post
My wife and I really liked the way our first batch turned out but we decided to try a kit for the next batch.
We only found 2 GF kits online ... both from the same place.
This is the one we are trying:
http://www.homebrewers.com/product/A...-Beer-Kit.html

I want to see how that turns out and then use that to modify how I do future batches.
Can't see us sticking solely with kits though ... it was pricey compared to what I can get the individual ingredients for.

Mainly we are looking for possible ways to modify our first batch, which was nearly addictive and just got better the longer they sat .... thank god they are gone!
Thanks to lcasanova for the recipe! It was the American Brown Ale .....
I'm glad to hear that recipe turned out so well cuz I'm about to make it as well.

I hope the kit turns out just as well if not better. It sounds good as it is but also something that could be modified in the future.

I look forward to hearing about the results on this thread, so I'm subscribed.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Glad you liked the recipe! I'll be making it again this fall with some minor changes, but we'll see how that turns out.

Are you going to brew the beer just as the directions tell you to or are you going to modify it in any way?

Old 02-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
Androshen
Recipes 

The only modifications we made were actually suggested by the distributor .... that was the addition of irish moss and yeast nutrient. Other than that I just want to see what it turns out like.
If I like it I can always try duping the kit on my own ... the cost was more than the sum of the ingredients.
My wife and I agree that we still need to do *alot* more of the last batch ... :-)

Tonight she drank the last GF beer from that batch and, since *I* am not celiac, she had scrounged up a Sam Adams for me .... she asked how my beer was and I just scowled at her .... it really sucked bad after drinking the GF homebrew!!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
stefan1011
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just ordered the same kit. I did not get a yeast nutrient. May I ask which one you used?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #6
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is that yeast in the kit really gluten free?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Androshen
Recipes 

The yeast nutrient and irish moss were not included in the kit but were suggested by someone who works there ... I had to call them about something and their "gluten free guy" was VERY helpful.
I used Fermax yeast nutrient ... I have a bottle on hand from my local HBS.

The yeast is gluten free ... said right on the label in fact .... Danstar Nottingham yeast.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
stefan1011
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you Androshen. I can assume that Fermax yeast nutrient is gluten free as well? I found the ingredients on their web page and it appears ok.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

Looks like a good kit. The honey will dry it out a bit. Sorghum extract isn't the most fermentable stuff around. What hops did they provide?

Note: dry yeasts are generally gluten-free, as they are grown in a molasses-based solution.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan1011 View Post
Thank you Androshen. I can assume that Fermax yeast nutrient is gluten free as well? I found the ingredients on their web page and it appears ok.
I cannot confirm, but I think all yeast nutrient is GF. It is an ingredient commonly used in wine and meads, both of which are GF. They have some stuff I don't understand in there, but nothing I would call out as gluten-containing.

White labs quote:
Quote:
White Labs Yeast Nutrient is a complex blend of nitrogen, vitamins, and co-factors. We designed it specifically for White Labs Yeast to increase vitality and viability in our yeast propagations. It is different from other nutrients in the market is because of the increased amount and variety of amino acids and cofactors. This increases the rate of metabolism, which results in faster fermentation and greater yeast viability. I t is an affordable way to increase the success of your brew. Our brewers have found it very beneficial for first generation, stuck fermentation and high gravity beers. Yeast nutrient can also be helpful when brewing high gravity beers. For commercial breweries, we package it in dry form in vials that are re-measured for 5 barrels. Nutrient is good for every generation and a must for beers above 1.070 SG or 17 Plato.

Quick Reply