Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Ton of trub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
buckwheat34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ton of trub

I am a GF brewer and malt many of my grains. I have done quite a few partial mash batches now and I constantly get tons of trub in my wort. Is this because of my home modification. I have been able to produce clear AG wort using barley but my GF are full of junk. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I have the same problem. I've been chalking it up to not using a proper MLT, and thus not getting a decent filter-bed. My crush is pretty fine, too, and I end up with lots of grain dust. I'm planning on purchasing a cooler with a false bottom soon, as well as trying mash-hopping with whole-leaf hops as well as rice-hulls.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
buckwheat34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I have had a little better luck with proper MLT even so still very chunky. What do you use for a grain mill, I am in the market but need to be sure it can adjust down small enough for sorghum.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I use a Victoria hand-mill...it's a corona mill, and it can go fine enough to make flour out of most grains. It has no problem with quinoa, but I don't know how it would do with amaranth or teff. I got it from High Gravity Brew.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

I have already had a batch half full of trub. Around 2.5 gallons of sediment. I moved to a voile bag. Like the ones BIAB brewers use. I have gotten a stuck sparge every time I try lautering through my false bottom. The voile is an awesome filter and I can just lift it out of my MLT when it stops flowing. Now I have ~.75 gal of trub in a normal batch.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
buckwheat34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool ill have to give that a try. Do you use rice hulls in your mash when just using FB and not bag? I have been able to mash a few times without getting stuck I go quite slow but flows.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

I use a corona mill as well. I used to use a ton of rice hulls before the bag. I would keep getting stuck sparges and tons of trub. I still brew in my MLT with false bottom but with a bag for safety. So yes... I put a bag on to keep it safe.

What kind of grains are you using? Batch sizes? What kind of mash process are you using?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
buckwheat34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have some millet from Colorado malting co, some home malted buckwheat, and home malted sorghum, and sometimes GF Oates. My last batch was about 1lb of sorghum, millet, and oats, as well as 3 lbs of extract ( my mashes havent been efficient enough to go all grain) Didn't use MLT cause I would have had very thin grain bed, so I filtered through grain bag.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
powmonster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use a Proper MLT and rice hulls... If you have an Ikea close by you can buy a splatter screen (for frying, thus it is round) and that is a nice way to increase your ability to filter the fine grind in addition to the rice hulls and don't forget to agitate the top of the grain bed during sparge to assist flow and ensure you are getting good rinsing throughout much of the grain bed (don't disturb the bottom 1-2 inches). My rule of thumb is 1 lb of rice hulls per 6 lbs of grain. If you have super fine grind, you may need to increase that. You can get absolutely clear beer using these methods... I have done it a few times, but I also still screw it up sometimes. I have never had a lot of trub.

Quick Reply