Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Thoughts on Sorghum to Rice Extract Ratios

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Thoughts on Sorghum to Rice Extract Ratios

Been poking around this site and others for some guidance/opinions on sorghum to rice extract ratios when used as the primary fermentables. I have had limited success finding any good advice, as in:

1) how much a percentage of rice extract is too much
2) if you're gonna use a certain percentage, it's best to add this or that

Is 50/50 too much?

FWIW, I went off the (gluten free) wagon last weekend and drank some Dogfish Head Burton Baton Imperial IPA. It was without a doubt THE BEST BEER I have ever had...

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

It depends on the style, IMO. I've never done sorghum and rice extracts as the only fermentables, though; I always add either honey, candi syrup, sugar, or molasses (usually only a very little of the latter). It may also depend on whether it's rice solids or Briess high-maltose rice syrup, too; the latter was designed specifically for gluten-free brewing, while the former is usually employed by "regular" beer brewers to lighten the color and body of styles like blondes or light lagers. I just ordered 12 lbs of the Briess syrup, so I'm gonna experiment a bit and see how it comes out. I guess there's also store-bought rice syrup, like Lundberg makes...not sure how that stuff compares in terms of sugar balance to the Briess.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've only made a few GF beers, but the best ones were 65-75% sorghum. Much less than that and the body suffers. More than that and the sweetness is a problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
It depends on the style, IMO. I've never done sorghum and rice extracts as the only fermentables, though; I always add either honey, candi syrup, sugar, or molasses (usually only a very little of the latter). It may also depend on whether it's rice solids or Briess high-maltose rice syrup, too; the latter was designed specifically for gluten-free brewing, while the former is usually employed by "regular" beer brewers to lighten the color and body of styles like blondes or light lagers.
In this case I am talking about the Briess high-maltose rice syrup carried by my LHBS, and yes, adding honey/candi syrup/etc. For example, fermentables for a 5 gallon batch:
3lbs Sorghum
3lbs Rice Syrup (Breiss)
1lbs Candi Syrup

Like David suggests, would body be a problem? Would a healthy dose of maltodextrin solve or help?

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)

Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Well, I usually aim for a higher starting gravity, like 1.055 or above. So far my best "malt base" in a 3-gallon batch was 2 lbs sorghum, 2 lbs rice solids, 1 lb candi syrup, 8 oz honey, 1 lb sweet potato, and 4 oz maltodextrin. That came out to 8% ABV, though! For your 5-gallon batch, I'd suggest adding up to 8 oz of maltodextrin, assuming you're going for something with a body comparable to a pale ale or british bitter. One mistake I've made in the past is adding maltodextrin to a beer that should be lighter-bodied; if you're aiming for something closer to a blonde or cream ale, it's okay to be light-bodied, and you might even want to replace the candi syrup with honey. Too much body can definitely be a bad thing, IMO, especially if it comes from maltodextrin.

Bear in mind that candi syrup, depending on how it's made, can add unfermentables and thus boost body and sweetness; true caramelization can render some sugars unfermentable, but some syrups are really maillard syrups rather than caramelized syrups, i.e. the darkening is from maillard reactions, not caramelization. I *think* most of the commercially-available syrups are caramelized, since you need to add a nitrogen source to sugar to get maillard reactions at pre-caramelization temperatures IIRC.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Based on the success of mloster's Hop Bursted Pale Ale, I guess my question is answered... I think I'll be trying an all brown rice syrup (with candi/honey/etc. but no sorghum) batch next. Maybe a summery blonde ale?

Quick Reply