The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Thinking about my second GF batch...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfielder5 View Post
it depends how sensitive your allergy is to gluten (or the person you are making it for), but be advised that WLP500 yeast is not 100% gluten free.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/mak...f-yeast-72962/

I have read on here that none of the liquid yeasts are GF and could cause problems for celiacs. as compared to those with just an intolerance.
Can we please just make this topic sticky. Yes, it's important to know that White Labs isn't 100% GF, but it's actually safe for most people, but it's a judgement call. No reason for this to come up in every single thread.

A simple sticky post with what brands are GF, which ones aren't and which ones are borderline. Give people the info and let them make the decision.

Not bashing you midfielder5, just pointing out it's kind of silly that we have to keep talking about this topic because it falls down the list over time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
Can we please just make this topic sticky. Yes, it's important to know that White Labs isn't 100% GF, but it's actually safe for most people, but it's a judgement call. No reason for this to come up in every single thread.

A simple sticky post with what brands are GF, which ones aren't and which ones are borderline. Give people the info and let them make the decision.

Not bashing you midfielder5, just pointing out it's kind of silly that we have to keep talking about this topic because it falls down the list over time.
A good point aggie, I will work on this. New post on it's way, everyone start voting, thumbs upping, and making replies for stickies.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

the sticky sounds good.
i did start by saying "it depends how sensitive your allergy is to gluten".. which was ignored, but whatev'

also, how about a sticky on ingredients, in general?
Like the Oats. (most are not GF unless so marked, but many don't care).

Last edited by midfielder5; 04-09-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: sticky topics prob OT

Old 04-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
the sticky sounds good.
i did start by saying "it depends how sensitive your allergy is to gluten".. which was ignored, but whatev'
i personally don't even have a gluten allergy!
I don't think he was bashing the way you said it, or that you said it, but simply that there are only about 10 of us in this forum and we mention the danger White Labs in every thread.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
I don't think he was bashing the way you said it, or that you said it, but simply that there are only about 10 of us in this forum and we mention the danger White Labs in every thread.
it is all good. no worries man.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #16
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:

also, how about a sticky on ingredients, in general?
Like the Oats. (most are not GF unless so marked, but many don't care).
Good idea. On it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/glu...t-list-172558/

Let me know what I am missing.

Last edited by DKershner; 04-09-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
Noontime
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Sounds like Noontime loves his citrus fruits! If this also describes you or the person who will be drinking this beer, then go for it. And noontime, IIRC you are the gluten-free person you are brewing for, but maybe try to make some sort of GF Widmer Drifter clone, I think you would really like it. It tastes like an orange.

In fact, I just realized my GF really likes oranges...recipe probably on the way.
I have no gluten issues but my wife is celiac (severe) and we have a completely gluten free household. I do enjoy the citrusy beers very much, but I'm guessing it's just because it's what I've been most successful with. My attempts at darker beers have been less than spectacular, but my next one will be with chestnuts, so hopefully that will make a difference. I would love to make my wife a stout or nut brown (and I enjoy them as well).

Old 04-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Exactly dkershner! Midfielder5, you had a great point, and I like that you prefaced it appropriately...I just think that if we had a sitcky for overall ingredients that are GF, and maybe a sticky about how to get the most out of your GF grain come brew-day, and finally a post on how to malt your own grain then that would be all the stickies we need.

Thanks dkershner for getting that thread started.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
..I just think that if we had a sitcky for overall ingredients that are GF, and maybe a sticky about how to get the most out of your GF grain come brew-day, and finally a post on how to malt your own grain then that would be all the stickies we need.
That sounds like a challenge. We now need to come up with way, way more sticky ideas.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Quick Reply