Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Thinking about my second GF batch...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Thinking about my second GF batch...

Well, my first gluten free batch is in primary and it looks like the yeast is starting to settle. So, I'm starting to think about my next batch.

It may be crazy, but I'm thinking about trying a GF Tripel. I've been trying to use some of the online calculators, but I get conflicting results...Here's what I'm thinking for a 5 gallon batch:

6 lbs NB Sorghum extract (37 ppg?)
1 lbs NB Rice Syrup Solids (40 ppg?)
3 lbs Belgian Candi Sugar (46 ppg?)

So, by my rough calculations, I should get an OG of 1.8, and a FG of 1.088.
Various online calcs have told me I'll get 1.075-1.077 OG and FG of 1.012 to 1.015. I guess the part I'm unsure of is the FG contribution of the rice and the candi sugar, I've heard that both are 'virtually 100% fermentable' but the online calculators I've seen don't seem to use that, in fact they seem to calculate all ingredients as being the same % fermentable?

Anyway, any suggestions on rearrangments of the amounts of my fermentables? I'm also trying to figure out what to shoot for on the hops. I've got a big enough pot that I can do a full boil, but would prefer to do something like a 3 or 4 gallon boil.

I've got some WLP500 for the yeast.

As for hops, I'm undecided. I have some Saaz, some Strisselspalt, and some Fuggle, but now that a brew store has opened up in town, I can get others () I'll also use a bit of coriander, maybe a quarter of an ounce, and I'll toss in a few bits of sweet orange peel. I'll also toss in some yeast nutrient, just to make sure those little guys have everything they need to get the job done.

Any tips? Am I making some enormous, noob mistake?

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Quote:
but the online calculators I've seen don't seem to use that, in fact they seem to calculate all ingredients as being the same % fermentable?
That's correct. The candi is close to 100% fermentable, depends on how dark it is. Rice syrup solids can run 10% to 50% unfermentable, but generally are about the same as malt extracts.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 04-08-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
That's correct. The candi is close to 100% fermentable, depends on how dark it is. Rice syrup solids can run 10% to 50% unfermentable, but generally are about the same as malt extracts.
Right now, I've got a little over a pound of home-made candi sugar. My goal was to make clear candi sugar, but it ended up being on the very light side of amber. I've actually been debating making another 2 lbs, or just using cane sugar instead. I guess I don't understand what the difference would be in fermentabilty or in final taste. But, it is easy enough to make another 2 lbs of candi sugar, the first time I just didn't realize how much more it would darken in the time it took to bring it up to hard crack.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

it depends how sensitive your allergy is to gluten (or the person you are making it for), but be advised that WLP500 yeast is not 100% gluten free.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/making-gluten-free-beer-need-gf-yeast-72962/

I have read on here that none of the liquid yeasts are GF and could cause problems for celiacs. as compared to those with just an intolerance.

Last edited by midfielder5; 04-08-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: added link to prior HBT discussion

Old 04-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

http://brew.dkershner.com/2009/gluten-free-tripel-blonde/

I made a tripel for my first GF brew. It turned out OK, but is still getting better. You can see mine and Jaimi's tasting notes.

Coriander is an ok idea, I don't think sweet orange peel is...combined with sorghum would be a no no for me. I didn't know about Rice Syrup back then, definitely use it.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfielder5 View Post
it depends how sensitive your allergy is to gluten (or the person you are making it for), but be advised that WLP500 yeast is not 100% gluten free.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/making-gluten-free-beer-need-gf-yeast-72962/

I have read on here that none of the liquid yeasts are GF and could cause problems for celiacs. as compared to those with just an intolerance.
Yeah, there's discussion on that, but the yeast slurry in the package is below the limit to be called gluten free, diluted in 5 gallons of wort it will be way below the limit. So, its about as gluten free as anything else I get that says 'gluten free'.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:14 AM   #7
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
http://brew.dkershner.com/2009/gluten-free-tripel-blonde/

I made a tripel for my first GF brew. It turned out OK, but is still getting better. You can see mine and Jaimi's tasting notes.

Coriander is an ok idea, I don't think sweet orange peel is...combined with sorghum would be a no no for me. I didn't know about Rice Syrup back then, definitely use it.
Do you think bitter orange peel would be a good idea, or do you just think orange is a bad idea in general?

Right now, I'm basically taking standard recipes and substituting Sorghum and Rice syrup. I figure there are probably adjustments to be made because sorghum and rice don't taste like malt...

Old 04-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Noontime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I LOVE sweet orange peel with the sorghum. Especially with the more citrusy hops like cascade, amarillo, and summit. I've found the flavors go very well together and eliminate the "tanginess". Everyone's tastes are different though.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noontime View Post
I LOVE sweet orange peel with the sorghum. Especially with the more citrusy hops like cascade, amarillo, and summit. I've found the flavors go very well together and eliminate the "tanginess". Everyone's tastes are different though.
Sounds like Noontime loves his citrus fruits! If this also describes you or the person who will be drinking this beer, then go for it. And noontime, IIRC you are the gluten-free person you are brewing for, but maybe try to make some sort of GF Widmer Drifter clone, I think you would really like it. It tastes like an orange.

In fact, I just realized my GF really likes oranges...recipe probably on the way.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
DKershner
Recipes 

http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/gluten-adrift/

Second guessing the bittering hop and thinking about going short boil and all late additions...

Last edited by DKershner; 04-09-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply