Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > tea?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Hrothgar41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default tea?

so- I have brewed lots of mead, but am just now starting on beer. Partner finally admitted he needs to be gluten free. Even oats set him off. As his taste in beer does not match what is available commercially, I'm set for a learning curve!!

I'm on batch 4. Each has been drinkable, working on actually being good still though. He liked Hoppinator, Red Hook ESB, Brutal Bitter, Lagunitas Maximus, etc. Also some dark porters and stouts. So- he wants Dark, and bitter enough to make most people's heads implode. (the man walks around chewing on hops)

We've been basing our experiments on brown rice syrup and molasses, but it has still been sweeter than he likes. (he has determined he does not like sourgum or tapioca) This last batch is 6 cups brown rice syrup, 4 c molasses, and 25 black tea bags. (5 g carboy) The tea is a new thought. Hoping it adds the depth that is lacking in the last batch. Just went into bottles, and so far he likes it. (one of my challenges in life- brewing beer I would use as weed killer. I am NOT a hops fan!!)

I was surprised to find the tea seemed to make the yeast VERY happy. we got our initial fermentation in the carboy done in half the time of the last batch. It's now in bottles, waiting for a bit.

So- has anyone else tried tea? Am I about to make something awful? Is this going to be a neophytes lucky batch that will never work again? Has anyone done a dark bitter beer, no gluten, and instructions a newbie can grok?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can always try the belgian candi sugars for some depth but I am interested in hearing how this tea experiment comes out, please keep us posted.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Welcome to the forums and good choice on a state to live.

For the hop bomb recipe, Logan has what I would do if I were making a hop bomb right here. Just change out the sorghum for brown rice syrup. If you want it drier (sounds like he does) subtract one pound BRS and add one pound corn sugar instead.

For a stout or porter, it's a bit tougher ask. I have been experimenting with dark, prune tasting candi syrup and coffee. I will let the forum know how it comes out when it is ready. My recipes are linked in my sig if you want to see em.

As for tea, well, I have definitely considered it (although not 25 bags). For me, gluten free beer is already too tea-like, and so I wouldn't want to add any more. Your experiment is interesting though and do let us know how it comes out. I am thinking it will be too powerful, but scaled back it could be a viable option. Does tea have sugar in it? I was under the impression it did, which would explain your happy yeast.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
DKershner
Recipes 

Oh, and tea has definitely been used a bunch in glutenous recipes I have seen, so it should work one way or another.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Hrothgar41
Recipes 

oooh- good link, thanks! No Sugar in black tea, just dry leaves. I'm wondering if the acid level made the yeast happy. We shall see! 25 bags to 5 gallons is what I would use for hot tea, but then, I like tea strong enough to clear your pipes!! Coffee would be my next choice, so I'll be curious how that goes. It's just that I had the cheep tea lying around, and was unwilling to sacrifice the rather spendy coffee we drink!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Hrothgar41
Recipes 

thanks, I'll take a look at those darker sugars!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar41 View Post
thanks, I'll take a look at those darker sugars!
http://darkcandi.com/

Those are what I use.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #8
Hrothgar41
Recipes 

oooh- fascinating. where in Oregon are you getting them?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:22 AM   #9
DirtbagHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

this has kind of blown my mind. i have a celiac friend that cant do starches of any kind, and ive been saying id figure out what i could do. perhaps a tea beer might be possible. do let us know how it goes.

is there a chance you can post the recipe you used for us to check out?

check out the possibility of using maltodextrin for a less watery beer
and all grain brewing, i agree sorghum is not the path i want to take either.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Hrothgar41
Recipes 

Lets see- for the 5 gallons it was 6 cups orgo brown rice syrup, 4 cups black strap molasses, boiled for about 1.5 hours, there were 25 tea bags of the black but cheep sort in there too, and about 2 cups Willamette hops to start and another 2 at the end of the boil (all I had at the time, was broke). Yeast was, I think, the English ale... but I'll have to look at the notes! We'll know in about 2 weeks if I have beer or weed killer! Going in to bottles though, he declared it to be pretty good, though could use a bit more hops. Off to the store again! I may try the next batch with the darcandi syrup.

oop- nope, it was wyeast American ale. (minus the activator pack and plus 2 t nutrient)

Reason: went and looked at actual notes

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS