Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Tapioca malt?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
DirtbagHB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
Is this what you are using?

It looks like it is maltodextrine derived from tapioca...wouldn't that be just like regular maltodextrine and not fully fermentable?

this is what i used
http://www.briess.com/food/Products/nsts.php

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtbagHomebrew View Post
i special ordered the tapioca malt from my LHBS.

and malting buckwheat, yeah that might not be all that hard, haven't done it yet. malting quinoa was pretty easy. unfortunately, ive been having a heck of a time finding raw whole buckwheat.

one option ive been pondering, is to use flours of these various GF grains: add some water and make some buiscit sized cakes and bake 'em. then break up these cakes, toss 'em into the mash with some amylase enzymes.
I think I've heard of that being done in the Aussie forums. From what I read there it seemed that grinding your malted grains into a flour results in a better conversion.

Quote:
The Tapioca 45 DE High Maltose? From all those listed that seems like the best...did you have to get a full sized order? Since I read this post I've been pondering using a different syrup in place of the sorghum, but I haven't had the time to experiment with replacing it fully or partially.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
i special ordered the tapioca malt from my LHBS.

and malting buckwheat, yeah that might not be all that hard, haven't done it yet. malting quinoa was pretty easy. unfortunately, ive been having a heck of a time finding raw whole buckwheat.

one option ive been pondering, is to use flours of these various GF grains: add some water and make some buiscit sized cakes and bake 'em. then break up these cakes, toss 'em into the mash with some amylase enzymes.
I read a few things on malting buckwheat, although it didn't sound too hard, it required more equipment than I have (that being, like, any). But I was under the impression that the buckwheat I got at the grocery store, which is hulled but not crushed, is fine? Its like 'groats' or something, they look like seeds about the size of a BB, but not particularly 'round'.

I think http://www.strangebrew.ca/Drew/buckwheat.html might be what I saw...

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 04-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
DirtbagHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah. that's the one ive used.

so since ive just started this brewing thing cuz i cant affor to drink greens and st peters all the time and i think redbridge is a lot like sex in a canoe "f-ing close to water" ive only put together 3 batches.
i got impatient with my order at the LBHS so for the first i malted quinoa. came out AMAZING! nice color, great clarity. everyone i drank left me wanting another.
the second was using breiss sorghum DME as a base. thats bottle conditioning right now
and the third, used Breiss tapioca DME as the base. thats in the primary right now.

the sorghum and the tapioca extracts are available in 7# tubs(i get these) or 60# barrels..... i dunno about you. but i can neither afford, store, nor get through 60# of anything before it goes to funk.

since i havent used any of the malt extracts before im trying what ever i can find for comparison reasons.

in terms of replacing sorghum extract. i havent any clue. experimentation is all i can recommend. but IMO, all grain might be the best way to go, in terms of versatility and general all all around control

Last edited by DirtbagHB; 04-29-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 AM   #15
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Someone who has been malting and roasting their own GF grains should start doing it commercially. There's probably a lot of money to be made from GF brewers.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:03 AM   #16
DirtbagHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

oh man, i could not agree more. some one should start selling malting GF grains..
wont be me just yet. im still just doing it kitchen style.. one of these days when i get money im thinking about devising some sort of screen cuppboard to malt and dry in. and perhaps a coffee roaster to roast in.

the main issue i have currently is evenly roasting. cuz oh man its a pain in the butt to pull trays every few minutes to stir.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I saw a thread in the DIY section about malting barley and he was trying to convert an old dryer for roasting. You could hook up a higher intensity heating element, and install a screen to the inside barrel to keep the grains from falling through, and either spin it yourself or get an old dryer that still spins but has a faulty heating element. I'd do it but I live in an apartment and would have nowhere to put it. If you lived near me I'd help you put a malting/roasting operation together and we could sell online.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
I read a few things on malting buckwheat, although it didn't sound too hard, it required more equipment than I have (that being, like, any). But I was under the impression that the buckwheat I got at the grocery store, which is hulled but not crushed, is fine? Its like 'groats' or something, they look like seeds about the size of a BB, but not particularly 'round'.

I think http://www.strangebrew.ca/Drew/buckwheat.html might be what I saw...

I've successfully malted the hulled buckwheat from Whole Foods a few times. The only time it didn't work was when I experimented using lye as a fungicide during the process.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #19
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
I've successfully malted the hulled buckwheat from Whole Foods a few times. The only time it didn't work was when I experimented using lye as a fungicide during the process.
I thought about doing that at some point too, I think you could use a weak bleach solution though.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #20
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm sure I'll give the lye another shot. I think it may have affected the absorbtion rate of the buckwheat and killed the grain. I'll have to tweak the soaking times.

I'd rather use potasium sulfite than bleach.

Quick Reply