Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > sweet potato mash experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #41
kingogames
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Any updates? Super interested in this thread!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #42
funkyBrewster_glutenfree
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Hi - I'm brewing today as my beer-fridge is running low... Sorry, the updates are long overdue.

The 'experiments' have been successful. We've been enjoying a variety of dark, light, bitter, and ginger beer based primarily on sweet potato and buckwheat.

Since measuring alcohol yield, I've seen values between 3.5 and 5%. I'm not going for high alcohol content mind you, the 5% was made special for the fianc? .

Happy to swap ideas, let me know if you have suggestions or questions.

screen-shot-2013-03-29-7.27.06-pm.png  

Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #43
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts

I would like to see recipes, yeilds, and tasting notes. How do they stack up to other gluten free beers?

My House IPA

Old 03-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #44
Noontime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the update funky!

www.noontimelabels.com

Old 09-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #45
burns7aj
Recipes 

hey all, I've been searching for sweet potato mash schedules and found this... I tried something similar, 2 lbs, through a food processor, 155F for 1 hr in 2 gal of water, drain water, add another gallon of water, boil 20 min, drain water and return to other two gallons. blended rest of potatoes and added them into the now 3 gallons. Added 1/2 tsp of alpha amalyse, and 1/2 tsp of beta amalyse. held at 155 for 30 min. strained out solids, boiled down to about 1.5 gal. put in carboy after fall out (very heavy fall out) about 1 gallon.... 1.030. that puts my efficiency at 37%. meaning I got .75lbs of sugar out of a possible ~2lbs. anyone got any ideas?

Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #46
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Why on earth would you go through all that trouble if you're just going to add enzymes anyway? I thought the whole point of using sweet potatoes was to capitalize on their native enzymes?

I think your math may be a little funny, too. Where are you getting 37% efficiency? What is the estimated PPG for sweet potatoes that you are basing that off of?

Old 09-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #47
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

He drained off some liquid w/ enzymes and added it back after the boil. I can't tell if cooled it down before adding the liquid back.
I'm also not following the efficiency math. The gravity he got is about where I ended when I experimented with sweet potatoes.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #48
burns7aj
Recipes 

I did cool the wort before adding it back in with the already extracted wort. I would agree with the enzyme comment.... I haven't been doing the all grain very long and wanted to give myself a top amount to shoot for (ie make sure I wasn't screwing it up. I don't have any PPG info on sweet potatoes.... I did some back of the napkin math..... Long story short I screwed up the math. I agree I'm in the ball park I should be in. Another question then to pose to the group, any good ideas as far as recipes for making a sweet potato beer? Thanks for the correction.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #49
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I made a "paleo" beer with a combo of sweet potato, chestnuts, agave nectar, and honey once. Fermented it with WB-06, very lightly hopped. Great summer quencher...went REAL fast, LOL. I mashed the chestnuts and sweet potatoes with amylase after boiling them. The beer was very light, smooth, crisp, and a little fruity.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #50
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns7aj View Post
I did cool the wort before adding it back in with the already extracted wort. I would agree with the enzyme comment.... I haven't been doing the all grain very long and wanted to give myself a top amount to shoot for (ie make sure I wasn't screwing it up. I don't have any PPG info on sweet potatoes.... I did some back of the napkin math..... Long story short I screwed up the math. I agree I'm in the ball park I should be in. Another question then to pose to the group, any good ideas as far as recipes for making a sweet potato beer? Thanks for the correction.
I've only tried it the one time. I got a soapy flavor, which I think came from the fat in the troub. My advice would be to secondary and not let it sit on the troub.

As far as recipe, I didn't try anything fancy. I purposely kept it light so that I could get an idea of what the sweet potatos were bringing to the table. It was fizzy, yellow and sweet. Great for a hot day, but I'm still not sure what I'd add to it. It's got some of it's own flavor going on, but not so much that it's crying out to be a spiced beer. I think it'd be best blended with sorghum syrup or if you could use it to help convert other GF grains.

Quick Reply