Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > sweet potato mash experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
Psych
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Why does no one ever update their threads with results? Maybe it turned out horrible and was a huge failure but at least letting people know that will mean not everyone makes the same mistakes

Or...sweet potato mash = poison and it's killing the posters off before they can type the word 'poison'...

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #12
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aomagman78 View Post
Thoughts on this schedule?
That looks good to me. Make sure you process the potatoes very fine. I cubed and boiled mine before mashing and it didn't gelatinize enough of the starches. They were gelatinized during the boil and I ended up adding amylase in the primary to get them broken down into fermentables. It worked and kicked off a second fermentation, but I'm thinking I'm going to end up with a very thin beer this way. Go ahead and try it and let us know how it works out.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
SaccharoVices
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would like to try a sweet potato wine, using no added sugar. The goal is to make 2 gallons of SG 1.100 using approx 20 pounds of sweet potato. Thinking amylase will help to ensure a complete conversion, I don't want a hazy wine but a really clear one.

I will finely shred the potatoes with a kitchenaid attachment, place the shreds in a fine mesh nylon bag, then into the mash tun. Add water and soak at 150, remove the shreds, boil them, then recombine with the liquid and add Amylase. Mash and drain. I will have to work out the liquid volumes because the liquid will have to be reduced to achieve the desired SG.

Does anyone know if there are pectins in sweet potato that would warrant the use of pectic enzyme? I really want to have a presentable, clear wine. I may also have to back sweeten and add a pie spice mixture for taste.

I will photograph and post much of the procedure here (or in the wine forum) for others to see/critique.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I don't think there are pectins in them, but you could always put some in anyways.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #15
aomagman78
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm firing this up right now. I'll try to update with OG and eventually a FG and tasting. I have 3big potatoes, I think it's 3lbs. Whatever I end up with, I'm going to boil to an OG of ~1.035-1.040.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #16
aomagman78
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I did this, but haven't fermented it or anything.

3lbs of sweet potatoes, peeled. Half food processed, half sliced very thin.

Doughed in, BIAB, at 90F and moved temp to 122, rested 1hr.

Removed bag, and put in enough water to cover. Boiled ~30min, mixing and crushing the potatoes

Added decocation back and brought temp to 152, added alpha amylase (Crosby baker) and rested for 2hr

Extracted bag, and tea-d in 1/2gal or so of room temp water, added this back to whole.

Mixed, and pulled sample for gravity. 1.018 with 2 gallons of water.

Then it got late, so I boiled it for 15min to kill anything, put in milk jug and into the fridge for now.

So that's 12PPG if my math is correct. Really not too bad, considering potatoes are .69/lb here. Considering 2-row is 36PPG and runs $1-$1.50, that's only 5.8c/point compared to 4.2c/point. Now I haven't fermented this, so I don't know what the taste/consistency is like. But it seems like a quality replacement for corn sugar that should add a little more body. I think more important will be the FG to see how much unfermentable/body these will provide. The water was definitely sweet so I'm guessing it'll end pretty dry, but mashing higher could definetly change that.

Anyway, hope this helps. I'll let you know when I ferment it, waiting to bottle a batch where I can grab some yeast cake.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #17
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Consider this my subscription to hear about your results. VERY interested in sweet potatoes!

Geography in a Glass:
http://beergeography.blogspot.com/

Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have been meaning to experiment with sweet potatoes for the longest time and when I saw 3 lbs bags for $0.99, I couldn't resist. I graded two bags in the food processor and ended up with 5.75 lbs. I did a betaglucan rest @ 104F for 25 minutes. Then a protein rest @ 131F for 25 minutes. Then I decanted off .5 gallons of liquid/enzymes and put it in the fridge. I heated the rest to 158F for 20 minutes and then brought it to boil for 8 minutes. After letting it cool back to 158F, I added the .5 gallons of enzyme liquid and some Glucoamylase to the kettle and mashed for 90 minutes @ 149F. The iodine test was negative, but I gave it another half hour. I ended up with 3 gallons w/ a SG of 1.025.

I used .5oz of cascade @ 60 minutes and another .5oz at 5 minutes. I had some S-33 that is over a year old, so I decided to use that up. I have no clue what this will end up like.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Glossolalia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So do the volatile aromatics of sweet potato survive the mash and boil? I'm working on a beer where 50% of the grist is sweet potato. I'm using koji to saccharify steamed sweet potatoes. I'm then going to make a beer from the remaining ingredients and pour it directly on to the saccharified potato-koji mix. My concern is whether the biota in the koji is sufficiently alcohol- and hop-sensitive to die off or whether I'll end up with a product that isn't shelf stable (e.g. namazake).

Old 01-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #20
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I used some sweet potato in the G.a.P. experiment a few years ago... lot of weird things going on there... may want to try again in a more conventional setting. subscribed.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Quick Reply