Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Step-by-step: Using amylase to convert flaked corn

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
jsweet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default Step-by-step: Using amylase to convert flaked corn

So I'm thinking of trying to do a GF hoppy cream ale for some friends, one of whom is off the gluten. I haven't been perfectly happy with any of the recipes I've found so far, but that's okay, for the most part I have been pretty successful crafting my own recipes using Beersmith and consulting other recipes as a general guide, despite being an abject n00b.

I think I would like to use some flaked corn, to stay more true to the original style. My understanding is that I can mash it by itself, much in the same way that I might do a partial mash recipe, by using amylase. I've found many people talking about doing this, but I have been unable to find specifics. (Pardon me if I wasn't diligent enough in the search; I really did make a good faith effort to find the answer myself, but unfortunately most of the hits are about using amylase in the fermenter to improve attenuation)

For example, how much amylase, how much water per pound of flaked corn, at what temperature, and for how long? Also, I saw one person mention that they needed to lower the pH of their mash water as well...?

So can someone walk me through this step-by-step? My guess would be: 1 gallon water for every 2-3 lbs of flaked corn, at a temp of ~150F, for about 90 minutes, then drain and sparge. No idea how much amylase, or how/if/how much I should lower the pH though...

Any help?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
jsweet
Recipes 

Ah hah! I had previously found this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/amylase-enzyme-gluten-free-brewing-87786/
But apparently didn't read it closely enough. It seems to have the answers to all the questions I have, although they are scattered throughout the thread. I will try to summarize here, to test my understanding:

Use 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain. The pH of the water should be around 5.4. The mash temp should be around 156F, and it should convert within about 30-60 minutes.

Is this about right?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
Ah hah! I had previously found this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/amylase-enzyme-gluten-free-brewing-87786/
But apparently didn't read it closely enough. It seems to have the answers to all the questions I have, although they are scattered throughout the thread. I will try to summarize here, to test my understanding:

Use 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain. The pH of the water should be around 5.4. The mash temp should be around 156F, and it should convert within about 30-60 minutes.

Is this about right?
Go at least 60min and use at least 1.25qt/lb. Other than that, good to go.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
jsweet
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Waybackbrewer
Recipes 

i'm working on some similar brews, how much amylase should you use per pound or corn? the amount of sugar in my wort makes me thing i'm not getting enough conversion

Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
MariposaSouth
Recipes 

one thing that has helped me a ton is having an iodine tincture - you can get it at your grocery store, by the band-aides and stuff, for about a buck. Papazian talks about it in johb... but it just involves putting a drop of iodine in a tiny sample removed from your mash - if it turns black or dark purple keep mashing, till it doesn't change colors. I've had mashes go 30 minutes past the recommended time before fully converting, saved me from boiling a bunch of starch. Perhaps you're already doing this, but it seemed like a good place to mention it... (don't return the sample to the mash after the test - discard it!)

Old 03-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Waybackbrewer
Recipes 

i've heard about the iodine test, but i have yet to actually do it. but for $1 i certainly don't see why i haven't

Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
jman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if you already use iodophor as your sanitizer, you can use a drop of that and save yourself the $1.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
momobono
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman
if you already use iodophor as your sanitizer, you can use a drop of that and save yourself the $1.
Is the ppm of iodine in iodophor really enough to be effective? Not being incredulous, just curious.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by momobono View Post
Is the ppm of iodine in iodophor really enough to be effective? Not being incredulous, just curious.
I've used it numerous times. Works fine. Give it apx 30-60 seconds to do the job.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Quick Reply