Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Sorghum versus Brown Rice Syrup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
tigerface
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sorghum versus Brown Rice Syrup

Hey everybody. Hope everybody in Gluten free land is having a great day. Can
anybody that has experience with Brown Rice Syrup please share their brewing experiences. For example color or taste or any other considerations brewing with this stuff. Also, would anybody brew with this syrup instead of Sorghum or a combination of both. This forum rocks...: rockin:
Andy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
andrewdell19
Recipes 

Doesnt do much to color. Roast grains (buckwheat or millet or rice to a dark roast and add to brew to change the color).
Taste citrusy like Sorghum but maybe a pineapple taste? Its hard to place.
Some like to use it as a combination with Sorghum although there have been a few threads on just BRS brews. I am past the BRS, IMO it doesnt do enough to justify the costs. Malting your own Buckwheat and Quinoa is quite easy if you have a little bit of time. IMO those add better profiles to your beer. Buckwheat more of a nutty taste, and Quinoa a little bitter but good if you MALT it.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
DougmanXL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A Little bit of time? Man, you need a lot of time, and space, and money to do all grain GF beer... especially if you live in an apartment, or millet is not available in bulk locally. Also it takes like 20lb of millet to get an SG of around 1.070 from what I've heard, which is more than the average bulk barn even stocks. It is easy if you live in a big house in the US, especially if you're in Colerado.

how much malt could a millet malter malt if a millet malter could malt millet?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
andrewdell19
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougmanXL View Post
A Little bit of time? Man, you need a lot of time, and space, and money to do all grain GF beer... especially if you live in an apartment, or millet is not available in bulk locally. Also it takes like 20lb of millet to get an SG of around 1.070 from what I've heard, which is more than the average bulk barn even stocks. It is easy if you live in a big house in the US, especially if you're in Colerado.
I use my malted grains in addition to the Sorghum malt. So I am doing maybe 5 lbs each time. I have had the most success with buckwheat.

I do take up a lot of counter space in the kitchen when doing it so yeah you need space. I use the garage in the summer months when the highs are in the low 80s.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
superjab7
Recipes 

I've brewed two batches of homebrew so I don't have tons of experience, but I've used 100% sorghum for one batch and my second batch I did about 66% sorghum and 33% brown rice syrup. Using brown rice definitely helps reduce that sorghumy aftertaste, but also makes the beer a lot thinner. I wanna try an all brown rice syrup batch, I think it will come out pretty good, you just need to add a decent amount of maltodextrine or something to give it some body.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
PariahDawg
Recipes 

can you just use BRS from a super market? I picked up some organic BRS from Wegmans, I was told this would work. I wanna try a 50-50 BRS/Sorghum.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's what many of us do. I get mine from Kroger/Meijer/WholeFoods etc. I think I just use Lindmans cause that's what's there and cheap enough. I just make sure to stock up when I see it on sale or have coupons.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
mloster
Recipes 

In reference to what DougmanXL said about millet, I got a SG of 1.038 in a 2.5 gallon batch with 10 pounds of millet. I did use a triple decoction mash which was a real pain in the ass and not too practical. Extrapolating this though, you could get a SG of 1.078 with 20 lbs of millet, which is still pretty bad in comparison to most gluten containing grain i.e. barley

Old 12-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
PariahDawg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
That's what many of us do. I get mine from Kroger/Meijer/WholeFoods etc. I think I just use Lindmans cause that's what's there and cheap enough. I just make sure to stock up when I see it on sale or have coupons.
cool thanks man, puts my mind at ease.

Quick Reply