Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > So Happy to be Here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
anemic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

more good stuff kersh. strong. thanks. Still thinking carbbing w/honey is good; some enzymes, plus no boil & cool. But I may experience intermittent carbbing...will find out!

Would enzymes multiply, like yeast? Probably not, as I think of them as proteins which don't work that way. So you'd be correct in a negligible amount. Still, some is good.

Caveat noted on honey in the BK. I wish I had added the honey to my lager at the end of the boil, not at the beginning. Maybe even at pitching time, right into the primary. I think honey should be not boiled for max benefits. Brewin & Learnin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemic View Post
more good stuff kersh. strong. thanks. Still thinking carbbing w/honey is good; some enzymes, plus no boil & cool. But I may experience intermittent carbbing...will find out!

Would enzymes multiply, like yeast? Probably not, as I think of them as proteins which don't work that way. So you'd be correct in a negligible amount. Still, some is good.

Caveat noted on honey in the BK. I wish I had added the honey to my lager at the end of the boil, not at the beginning. Maybe even at pitching time, right into the primary. I think honey should be not boiled for max benefits. Brewin & Learnin.
Carbing with honey is a well practiced technique. Either pasteurize at 161F for 15min, or just dump it in, people have done both with success. Your carbing will be even so long as you mix it in, just like corn sugar.

I am no scientist, but I do not think enzymes multiply, but rather are more like nutrients, to be eaten by some type of organism for some type of benefit.

I am making the same lager (i think) on Saturday and am going to add the honey into the primary, mid way through fermentation, no pasteurization. Boiling it takes away any honey flavor, but you still get the same sugar in the beer. Sorry we didnt touch on that sooner for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply