Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Smoked Porter Attempt #2 (Gluten-Free)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
BrewCanuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just as another option you could consider liquid smoke.

Pipeline is dry until that stupid ship arrives

All Gluten Free

Blog: Thirsty Engineer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I think I've decided to just eschew the smoke thing. Instead I'm gonna play up the chocolate, and steep some chocolate-pu-erh teabags at the end (pu-erh is a Chinese black tea that's been fermented to remove its bitter tannins...you could literally boil this stuff all day and not get any astringency out of it, and it has a nice earthy flavor that goes well with chocolate).

Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Interesting...got the wort boiling right now, and with the addition of the burnt honey (I used black sage honey with the tiniest bit of chestnut honey thrown in), I'm thinking it's gonna have a bit of a smokiness anyway, at least judging by the smell! This is a very interesting aroma, I've got to say...very curious how this going to turn out. I think the carob will go very nicely in this. Also, burnt honey must be something like 500 SRM, because 12 oz of it turned 4 gallons of water pitch-black!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
mtbskier
Recipes 

Did u actually burn the honey or is black sage honey dark burnt honey you can buy at a store or order online. Hard to believe it could be much darker than buckwheat honey or molasses

Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #15
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

No, I actually burnt the honey, as when making a bochet mead. Poured it into my heavy-bottom brew kettle, cranked up the heat, and cooked it until it turned black. I'm glad I didn't set off the smoke alarm, because it smoked a LOT. It was originally honey from the "black button sage" plant, and before I burnt the heck out of it, it was fairly light and with a pleasant marshmallowy flavor. After burning, it had a smoky, woody, roasted marshmallow flavor with a hint of soy sauce. It's a very complex aroma. This may turn out more of a stout than a porter, but time will tell. It's chilling now, getting ready to pitch. I may add vanilla extract in secondary or at bottling if it's too roasty/bitter, but I'm thinking it will mellow nicely with a bit of age. I just hope it doesn't take toooo long to mellow.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #16
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Just a note on the vanilla extract. I added a tbsp to 5 gallons of the dual spires. It was extremely strong for a couple months but now I love it. There is also something that is causing my head to be somewhat disconnected from the beer. I can't describe it exactly but it is almost like the liquid slides under the head without it moving. I had wondered if this was from the oils in the extract or if it was normal. Very intrigued by your recipe though. I also brewed something very close to your original grapefruit ipa using brs and steeped grains. If you have any on hand that might make a good trial exchange to do a side by side comparison. Just a thought.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
HopMasterT
Recipes 

Have you done a taste test yet? How has this one turned out?

Quick Reply