Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > similar problem to gluten allergy, possibly gluten?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #11
anemic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

make him a hop tea to test the theory? ed worts apfelwein may be something us GF people should really get to know. thats still on my to do list

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemic View Post
make him a hop tea to test the theory? ed worts apfelwein may be something us GF people should really get to know. thats still on my to do list
Edwort's apfelwein is pretty awesome, I have another batch going right now

Old 03-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
He won't let him self get sick to satisfy MY experiment and curiousity!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
anemic
Recipes 

Lee, Ginger Beer. Hop free. need a recipe?

Old 03-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #15
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Naw, but thanks anyway. This guy has turned into a 1st class wine and brandy snob and said he'll never touch a beer again.

Leeinwa

Old 03-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #16
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Ooh, that sounds interesting...

Back on the celiacs thing, a lot of people aren't diagnosed. I had been having problems for quite a few years, and just got diagnosed a week ago. It is kind of dumb, the docs seem happy to tell you to take drugs (The first few times I was in, they said my digestive issues were the result of nasal drainage, the insomnia, exhaustion, headaches were all the result of depression, so they put me on allergy meds, nasal spray, and anti-depressants, a combo which made me puke) but don't do a relatively simple blood test (I got a call back literally hours after my blood was drawn).

I think that as the awareness of this goes up, more and more people will get diagnosed. For some, the digestive issues aren't even significant (or at least, they don't have any noticeable symptoms). For example, one of the teachers my mom (and mom-in-law, for that matter) works with was diagnosed because she was anemic and her hair was falling out.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
anemic
Recipes 

good grief. echo all that. It has never been more clear that they are "Medical" doctors (of medicine!), &/or surgery.

All ya gotta do with this is quit the gluten. I wish SOME of the gluten information came from the medical community because it would be very helpful with getting the word out much better.

good stuff here: sally Fallon's book Nourishing Traditions & Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz. Fun stuff for anyone who loves fermentation, like us home brewers for example.

gluten, not essential, like cholesterol is. In fact, it's more like a poison really. again similar to low fat foods. dangerous for anyone not just the celiac club. my world has turned upside down since arriving at the same conclusion in early Jan'y (my family of 4 as well). I must sound a little kooky when I saw things like: "everything you have ever been told about nutrition is probably wrong & harmful too" oh well. road to recovery and betterment.

bottom line dorklord dont simply avoid the harmful gluten but also get yourself the healing foods. plan ahead, life is good, even way better, just far less convenient. oh and try my flowergarden. I'm curious if anyone might duplicate my results. love that stuff, a little too much!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #18
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
good grief. echo all that. It has never been more clear that they are "Medical" doctors (of medicine!), &/or surgery.

All ya gotta do with this is quit the gluten. I wish SOME of the gluten information came from the medical community because it would be very helpful with getting the word out much better.

good stuff here: sally Fallon's book Nourishing Traditions & Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz. Fun stuff for anyone who loves fermentation, like us home brewers for example.

gluten, not essential, like cholesterol is. In fact, it's more like a poison really. again similar to low fat foods. dangerous for anyone not just the celiac club. my world has turned upside down since arriving at the same conclusion in early Jan'y (my family of 4 as well). I must sound a little kooky when I saw things like: "everything you have ever been told about nutrition is probably wrong & harmful too" oh well. road to recovery and betterment.

bottom line dorklord dont simply avoid the harmful gluten but also get yourself the healing foods. plan ahead, life is good, even way better, just far less convenient. oh and try my flowergarden. I'm curious if anyone might duplicate my results. love that stuff, a little too much!
Flowergarden? Is that a recipe you've got posted somewhere? I'd be interested in the 'hop free' ginger beer, I have a friend who seems to have a reaction to hops...(I'm actually going to have to get ahold of her, as if I brew a batch of gluten free beer, with no hops, I'll be able to say it is literally nothing like any beer you've ever had...)

Old 03-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #19
anemic
Recipes 

well Flowergarden is posted somewhere in here however it's all about the hops! So you might want to look up Ed Worts Apflewein (apple cider (or was it juice) and yeast, or the meads which are honey & water. you can do this with commercial or airborne yeasts. These are your best bets for hop free GF brews. or ginger beer also hop free, and delish.

Last edited by anemic; 03-15-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #20
anemic
Recipes 

Ginger beer for ya...honey & ginger no hops... included in BOTH of the books I mentioned above. What is extra fun about this is making the "bug" which is like making a yeast starter.

http://www.chelseagreen.com/content/recipe-ginger-beer/

Edit PS; use honey (raw, unpasteurized) in lieu of table sugar, favoring the natural enzymes of the honey, turning this beverage into a turbo healing elixir!

This is an alcohol free recipe. I believe that is technically true, but I would suspect a teeny weeny bit of alcohol, like homebrew soda pop, almost not worth mentioning. There is probably a way to make alcofied ginger beer because I've had it (Goslings) and boy was it good.

Last edited by anemic; 03-15-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: honey modification

Quick Reply