Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > similar problem to gluten allergy, possibly gluten?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
fredthecat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default similar problem to gluten allergy, possibly gluten?

My one friend who drinks as much as we do is unable to drink most beers and we have never been able to figure out what the reason is. She's never been diagnosed with celiac's disease and can eat bread and other stuff fine, and is able to drink some kinds of beer without a problem, but not others, at which point she throws up a bunch and feels sick. we've never been able to figure it out and i'm wondering if anyone might know of other problems that interfere with a persons ability to drink beer??

she is able to drink cider, wine, spirits without any problem ??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

It might be a reaction to high bittering levels or if the problem is dark beers, the caramels. She needs to keep track of what beers do or don't cause the problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
fredthecat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

yeah, i forgot to say the beer types
she definitely has a problem with high adjunct/preservative beers like malt liquor and cheap beer, she seemed to have no problem with steam whistle, and had a problem after either some DAB's and heinekens. im not sure if its an issue with trace amounts of a preservative or cleaner in some beers or is it possible to have a hop allergy?

Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthecat View Post
My one friend who drinks as much as we do is unable to drink most beers and we have never been able to figure out what the reason is. She's never been diagnosed with celiac's disease and can eat bread and other stuff fine, and is able to drink some kinds of beer without a problem, but not others, at which point she throws up a bunch and feels sick. we've never been able to figure it out and i'm wondering if anyone might know of other problems that interfere with a persons ability to drink beer??

she is able to drink cider, wine, spirits without any problem ??
I have a couple of good friends that can not drink beer because they have what was diagnosed as yeast allergies. I have my doubts as to that diagnosis as they both drink wine all the time. Anyone else ever hear of this problem?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeinwa View Post
I have a couple of good friends that can not drink beer because they have what was diagnosed as yeast allergies. I have my doubts as to that diagnosis as they both drink wine all the time. Anyone else ever hear of this problem?
This sounds like a gluten allergy or celiacs. It gets mis-diagnosed a ton. Usually not in this part of the country though. Gluten and yeast are so close in nature, they almost do the same things. Can they eat other stuff without yeast in it, but has gluten? Pasta? Gluten free beer is one thing, but yeast free beer???

As for the lady above...it looks like she is allergic to macrobrews. Now, I don't literally mean that just because they are big, but there must be something in the process unique to the really big guys, a preservative or clearing agent would be my first thoughts.

Last edited by DKershner; 03-03-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
This sounds like a gluten allergy or celiacs. It gets mis-diagnosed a ton. Usually not in this part of the country though. Gluten and yeast are so close in nature, they almost do the same things. Can they eat other stuff without yeast in it, but has gluten? Pasta? Gluten free beer is one thing, but yeast free beer???

As for the lady above...it looks like she is allergic to macrobrews. Now, I don't literally mean that just because they are big, but there must be something in the process unique to the really big guys, a preservative or clearing agent would be my first thoughts.

They can eat and drink about anything except beer. Your theory is just as palusable about additives etc. Gluten intolerance is not really an allergy per se, the way I understand it. It's more of a reaction to the gluten protein. And There's a lot of people that have suffered for years without a proper diagnosis. I have a celiac aquaintance in Oregon who is an RN. Believe ir not she goes to MD seminars and tells the MDs how to diagnose it because they miss it all the time.

I have some Japanese friends who are just plain allergic to alcohol and flush out when they drink, which comman among lots of Asians.

There is always a certain amount of methanol alcohol produced in fermentation. In distilling, the first % that comes out of a still is discarded. Maybe the macros use some yeasts that produce more methanol than others.

Like to hear comments from others.

Leeinwa

Old 03-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeinwa View Post
They can eat and drink about anything except beer. Your theory is just as palusable about additives etc. Gluten intolerance is not really an allergy per se, the way I understand it. It's more of a reaction to the gluten protein. And There's a lot of people that have suffered for years without a proper diagnosis. I have a celiac aquaintance in Oregon who is an RN. Believe ir not she goes to MD seminars and tells the MDs how to diagnose it because they miss it all the time.
Oregon medical in certain parts of the state could be considered the forefront for the diagnosis of this disease. Seems like there are a lot of people locally who have it (my mom, sister, and GF for starters). Gluten intolerance is similar to lactose intolerance, in that your body not only cannot digest the problem you ingested, but anything else either while it attacks the "foreign" nutrient. This is why you can die from it, no absorbtion. It can also cause cancer in your digestive system supposedly.

Just thought of something...what if your friends are just allergic to barley?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
peterbronski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's important to maintain a distinction between Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance. While often lumped together, they are not the same thing, and have different modes of action. Gluten intolerance is similar to lactose intolerance, and its primary symptom is GI distress. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder primarily affecting the small intestine, but which also has significant secondary complications for people who continue to consume gluten (for example, because of a lack of diagnosis).

I agree with the previous poster... given that your friend can eat bread, but has problems with certain beers, this points much more toward something like a sensitivity to barley, than it does more broadly to gluten.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #9
fredthecat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
obviously im not a fan of macros hehe, but i think that is quite plausible and i didnt consider that. every one of the beers that made her ill were macros. it could simply be part of their industrial scale production, anything from trace cleaning remnants to additives. thanks

Old 03-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Oregon medical in certain parts of the state could be considered the forefront for the diagnosis of this disease. Seems like there are a lot of people locally who have it (my mom, sister, and GF for starters). Gluten intolerance is similar to lactose intolerance, in that your body not only cannot digest the problem you ingested, but anything else either while it attacks the "foreign" nutrient. This is why you can die from it, no absorbtion. It can also cause cancer in your digestive system supposedly.

Just thought of something...what if your friends are just allergic to barley?
Checked with one of my friends last night and asked him a couple of questions. He said he loves barley soup and 7 grain breads, many which contain malted barley flour. Getting to sound more like hop allergies to me.

leeinwa

Quick Reply