Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Shelf life of GF beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
Hound_Dog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Shelf life of GF beer

My friend's mother has a gluten allergy, and asked me about brewing beer that is GF. My buddy and I were thinking of brewing her a 3 gallon batch of something, but were concerned about the shelf life. She doesn't drink very often, and we're worried that it may not age very well. Those of you that know, what kind of shelf life can you put on a GF beer? What base grain might age better? Part of my concern is that she only likes smaller session style beers. Help steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

My dog smells like PineSol and he insists on sitting on my lap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound_Dog View Post
My friend's mother has a gluten allergy, and asked me about brewing beer that is GF. My buddy and I were thinking of brewing her a 3 gallon batch of something, but were concerned about the shelf life. She doesn't drink very often, and we're worried that it may not age very well. Those of you that know, what kind of shelf life can you put on a GF beer? What base grain might age better? Part of my concern is that she only likes smaller session style beers. Help steer me in the right direction. Thanks.
I swapped some gf beers with midfielder5 and received this beer- it was 6+ months old and it was fantastic. And- just last night I had the last of my gf wit's from my drop down that I made last Thanksgiving, so about 7 months old- it too was awesome. Still fruity and no off flavors. I think the longer you can age a gf beer, whether you use grains or not, the better. The sorghum twang goes away over time but then again, it goes well with some styles. I would say just brew it and let her drink them as she can. Good luck and make sure you post your recipe.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
DirtbagHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm right there with icasanovas post. My oldest is 5-6 months old. Every time I crack one open they just seem to taste better and better.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My wife cracked a 2-year old one last night. The flavor nor smell seemed to be much different than it was at 6-months. But this was a high-gravity beer that needs awhile to mellow in even non-GF beer.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

The sorghum-based Pale I did in Oct-09 is still doing nicely. The hop aroma is fading a bit, so it tastes more like a Special Bitter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Noontime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've also noticed a mellowing of the hops as they get older, but no off flavors or decline in quality. I've only made GF beer so I have no reference to standard home made stuff.

I thank you for enriching the life of a celiac with good beer!

www.noontimelabels.com

Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
peterbronski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At what temperature is everyone storing their beer in the long term as it ages in the bottle?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbronski View Post
At what temperature is everyone storing their beer in the long term as it ages in the bottle?
Until about a month ago it has been at room temp, maybe 68-72. Now it's in a basement and thats probably a constant 65 for now... Never had any problems in the past storing it at room temperature, though I never turned off the air or heat.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 AM   #9
peterbronski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info. My GF Belgian Wit (made with malted millet and chestnuts) has definitely turned. I think it was the combo of the low alcohol content, oils from the chestnuts, and the warm storage temp (about 72-75 F). It's only been bottled for four months or so. The good thing was I only had six or so bottles left, so not a great loss.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbronski View Post
Thanks for the info. My GF Belgian Wit (made with malted millet and chestnuts) has definitely turned. I think it was the combo of the low alcohol content, oils from the chestnuts, and the warm storage temp (about 72-75 F). It's only been bottled for four months or so. The good thing was I only had six or so bottles left, so not a great loss.
Yea, that's probably it and the fact that a Wit doesn't have a whole lot of hops doesn't help either.

Quick Reply